Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Euro smileys

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Dec 14, 2008.

MIKEGTR guest

i have a set of smiley's i bought a while back... i would be willing to part with them

here's the catch22... they're yellow... not Lamin-X or similar cover... real yellow paint by me (car was/is used for club racing only)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

alternatively, i also have the original ellipsoids from my E30

Mike

az3579

Ah, they're yellow.
    Is there a reason why people paint them yellow?

z31maniac guest

French hi's are yellow.

iTZ mad euroh son!

MIKEGTR guest

besides looking incredibly HOT on a race car, yellow lights with 4500K HID's are great on night races

Mike

az3579

I don't have HIDs nor do I intend to get them anytime soon. Perhaps down the road...
    If only the highs were yellow, I'd jump right on it, but having all lights yellow is a bit.. strange.. to me.

Anyone have any pics with all yellows? Preferably on a red car... :confused:

MIKEGTR guest

[IMG]

enough said!!!

Mike

az3579

Err, I meant of an E30. :p
    The M3 looks hawt with or without yellows, but an E30 I have a hard time imagining in red with yellows.

Perhaps I should get down to the point: How much do you want to part with them for?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

And I have dibs IF Botond doesn't want them. They may go on a LeMons car (for the duration of the race, anyhow.)

az3579

Hmm... need an extra driver? :D
    Would be a shame to put em' in a LeMons racer; it's only gonna get smashed up, no?
    Want mine if I take the yellows? They're ricey anyway so it shouldn't matter if they get smashed up. :)

MIKEGTR guest

sorry for not being able to get the lights out from storage today for pics... my E30 caught on FIRE and it was a long afternoon after that...

so please accept my apologies for the delay!

Mike

az3579

Heard about that; sucks big time. I'm not in any rush...

Is everything OK? Do you know yet?

mooseheadm5

Holy crap! Let me know if you need anything- I have spares.

CRKrieger

Long links can be fixed.

OK; here's what happens. Your pasted link overran the page width limits, so it got truncated. I have to scroll this thread to see all of it and anyone wanting to go to it must copy and paste all the fragments together. I find this damned annoying, which is why I'm telling you how to do this right in the future! The simplest way to make a long link fit on a page is to type a short name for it that does fit, like "Ebay light auction". Then, highlight that text and click the 'link' icon ([IMG]) above your text entry box. Paste your link into the dialog box that comes up and you're done. Got it?

You can prove it by editing your original message to get rid of that huge text link.

az3579

Do you know how weird it is to be a computer tech and have someone tell me that? lol
    I didn't do that because I was lazy and in a rush. ;)

(I had to admit, the truncation system is quite a bit strange here...)

Happy now? :p
    ( ^ That was a link BTW)

I'm thinking I might just buy the new set on eBay. It might be close to the price of what people are asking for their OEM smiley's, but these cost a bit less AND are new, and don't have issues like pitting or cut wiring, or rusted adjusting tabs.
    They might not be OEM, but look pretty darned close, with the exception of being brand new and clean.

New OEMs cost over $250 a piece, for each side!

But, I'm thinking I might be able to warm up to the idea of having yellow smileys. How much are you willing to part with them for, Mike?

MGarrison

I wouldn't be surprised if at either the state or federal levels yellow headlights are illegal, not that anyone enforces it. Not trying to rain on the idea, just thinking about the ticket potential for yellow headlights - might want to check out any state regs.

MIKEGTR guest

Yeah... that might be a problem... i'd check that out... i never had a problem as it was used a track-only car

Mike

mooseheadm5

Won't be a problem at LeMons (though I may have to weld up some cattle guards!)

(ONLY if Botond doesn't want them. I bet it won't be a problem in CT, though, plus they should look good on a red car.)

MIKEGTR guest

pics of the LeMons car?

Mike

mooseheadm5

none yet. Have to see if my friend bought it this weekend. So what happened to your E30? Between yours, ecvchamp's, and an acquaintence of mine (had his 535is towed to my shop- the alternator went full field and started ultra frying things! stay away from "World Class" alternator rebuilts) that is 3 vintage bimmers in trouble in one weekend.

az3579

About the yellow-ness of the headlights, I looked it up and it's true; a lot of times, cops will hassle you for things that make you stick out. If I had 12,000k headlights, they'd pull me right over!

The less excuses to give them, the better.

The yellows can be all yours, Paul. If I want to "yellow"ize it, then I'll buy some headlight covers to serve a dual-purpose; cover the headlights to avoid pitting, and make the highs yellow. I always liked the look of having highs yellow and lows clear.

And what did happen to your E30? I'm dying to find out whether it's OK... :eek: