Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for a 30 yr old

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by Autohaus, Dec 10, 2008.

az3579

Doesn't matter anymore. The car was sold with the appointment right before Chris', but I think it's for the better. More money for that fantastic house they've been looking at. :)

Autohaus guest

Yup, sold. Things happen for a reason. Botond has been haggling me about this 93 325isM at my mechanics shop that is just sitting there and a 325ixA for sale that has the missing hub cap that he needs. I'll try to call him up today. I got alot of catching up to do at work since I was out on Friday. I guess overall, the best BMW(s) for a 30 yr old would be the BMW's I already have. I'm just too greedy :eek:

Autohaus guest

Rats......

Just got an email from the landlord. This was her reply:

Dear Christopher,

Thank you so much for coming to look at our house- I really enjoyed meeting you and your family. I have talked with my parents and unfortunately, they have decided to limit the house to applicants with one pet (since it is the house they eventually retire in, they are just really concerned about keeping it in the shape it is). I am really sorry that it won't work out for you and I hope you all find a good house very soon.

Happy Holidays!

Best wishes,
    Katie

Overall, its for the best. This Katie told us that she lives just around the corner. Not good as I know she would have been checking up on us every so often. I need to find a place with space/garage soon so I can buy that E28 parts car. I could manage to buy it anyway and stay where we are now but the driveway is just too narrow to do much work. Eh, can't wait till I can hopefully buy a house next year :D

Autohaus guest

The 92 525iM is back on the market. Botond and I will check it out Saturday. Also, we are gonna check out a guy who is selling two 87 535is'. One needs tons of work and the other one has no title. He also has a complete E28 M5 interior as well :).

az3579

And add to that list (hopefully) an E36 325is. :)

Autohaus guest

Its not for sale :(. However, we'll check out the body shop I go to. He has some bimmers for sale.

Autohaus guest

Nothing to brag about the 92 525iM. That car had numerous warning lights:

Fog light
    Taillight
    Brake light
    Coolant Level
    Trailer Light (Never heard/seen of it before)

Both front seats need to be replaced. Badly worn but seat covers would be a temp fix.
    Passenger side fender (very front of it) isn't painted as its that black primer (the car is black).
    All four door panels are coming off.
    You need a long flat head screw driver to put through the grills to get the hood unlatched.
    Hood needs new shocks
    Trunk needs new shocks
    No record of the engine being replaced
    Glove box is a pain to close
    Needs blower motor
    He dropped his price to $1600 from $2K.
    That car is worth $500.

az3579

You completely exaggerated on that one.

That car is definitely worth what he's selling it for. There are worse condition E34's selling for close a price to that.

The seats aren't that bad. They could be like what my seats originally were before I replaced them; ripped up to shreds, but they just aren't. They're of typical wear for such an old car.

I'll agree on you with the slew of warning lights, though. But the car is definitely worth what he's asking for it.

Autohaus guest

Murrah's M535i is way better :)

MGarrison

Did they claim the engine was replaced, with no documentation to back it up?

The V8's 93-97 afaik were the ones w/ the nickasil issues; I don't recall there were problems w/ M50's that required replacement by BMW?

Autohaus guest

The owner told me that the previous owner told him that the engine was replaced and that it had 120K on it (the newer engine). No documentation at all. I assume that the previous owner somehow damaged the engine (overheated or whatever) and decided to drop in a lower mileage engine. So the current owner (who is a police officer) believed him. Still, the car is not worth $1600 IMO. I would pay $500 but I would pay $900 just to be nice. I wouldn't buy it anyway.