Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best Tires for Year-Round Use: 2005 330i Performance Pkg

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OkieBimmer, Dec 3, 2008.

OkieBimmer guest

I'm new to my 05 E46 / 330i / ZHP package. I've driven it for a sum total of only 6 days! I've owned a lot of Bimmers in the past (2002, 320i, 325e, 325i, 540i), but only the 540i had low aspect ratio tires--and it was "touchy" too. On the 540i, there were a lot of vibration and noise issues on the 17" rims until I straightened it out with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.

Right now, I've got only 33K miles on this pristine lease return 05 330i with 18" staggered wheels. Tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE040 225/40ZR18 front, 255/35ZR18 rear. Tires must not be the originals, because they still have about 70% tread left. Front left appears very lightly cupped on outer band. All 4 tires make a lot of noise and are very numb, now that we have cold weather in Oklahoma. I will admit that the car handles like a go-kart. Of course, it rides like one too.

I intend to drive this car a lot. It will be my everyday commuter and long distance customer visit car. Probably 20K miles per year.

I need to get a set of tires on this car that I can live with day-to-day and for the long haul. I've got a truck to drive when it is really slick outside, but still need to be able to drive in the rain or light snowfalls if I'm stranded a long way from home.

One candidate tire set is the relatively new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tire. Tire Rack has a warning on their website that the tires will ride even more roughly due to higher load service ratings (92/94 vs. 88/90). This gives me some pause, but I really like the 45000 mile warranty and the all season capability.

Can any of you advise me if this tire would be acceptable? Anybody with this tire on this particular car? Comments?

I'm glad I bought before the Plus tires came out..

About a year ago I put a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '02 330ci. What a fabulous tire! They are the best ones yet, and I have been through quite a few different tires over the years.

While on tirerack.com I noticed the new PS A/S Plus and it didn't compute that they would be a different tire. That causes me to have to rethink this whole thing out - just about the time I think I've found my ultimate tire... poof, there goes that!

I have a Mazdaspeed 3 (because BMW won't bring the 1 series hatch here) and the wife's Miata that I was planning to put the PS A/S tires on.....

Back to square one....

Thanks for the heads up!!!

mattm

I bought some Sumitomos for my'05 ZHP car in August:
    225/40ZR-18 Sumitomo HTR Z III XL $108.00 2x $216.00
    255/35ZR-18 Sumitomo HTR Z III XL $159.00 2x $318.00

Total for $534, plus shipping and tax from Tirerack.com (ask for or mention "Woody" there).

OkieBimmer guest

How is the wear rate looking on the Pilot A/S tires?

chasstevens guest

I have the Michelin Pilots you are looking at on my 05 330i ZHP and I really like them. They don't seem harsh to me on the multiple road surfaces I drive on although the suspension is on the firm side in comparison to my other 3 series cars. Chuck

OkieBimmer guest

Chuck, do you have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus? I just ordered these tires and expect to have them installed this Friday. Excited for the change.

Agree on the firm suspension with ZHP. Much firmer than I expected, but I think this may be acceptable once the new tires are on. Right now, the Bridgestones are very "darty" due to tramlining on the grooves in the interstate. It is a handful to keep it in a straight line on our rough roads.

awbusch

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

About 6 weeks ago, I put a set of 4 Pilot Sport A/S Plus (205/50-16) on my 325xi. They ran me about $600 installed (ouch!). So far, I have about 3,000 miles on them in warm, cold (down to 15 degrees F) and rainy weather - and thus far - I would say that they are about the best all-around tires I have ever had. They really are wonderfully smooth, quiet and handle great in every condition I have faced. They are a bit pricey, but I have always had great luck with Michelins. So, I guess you get what you pay for (and I'm hoping they do last the 45K guaranteed miles). Now, I'm think about putting a set on my E46 330Ci (w SP).

OkieBimmer guest

I bit the bullet and paid for a complete set of Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires yesterday. Wow expensive ($1230) but also WOW what an improvement.

I am new to this car (owned only since November 27), so I thought I had maybe made a big mistake--the Bridgestones were that bad. The Michelins, however, transformed the car back into a civilized machine again. I'm not exactly autocrossing with the car every weekend, but my initial "butt feel" is that I've kept all the cornering capability, but now have a car I can drive comfortably and expect traction in adverse conditions.

Time and mileage will tell for sure, but my initial reaction is very positive.

mattm

If you wanted autocross wheels, you should buy my old set of the OEM ZHP wheels that I have (the 135 style wheels).

I have two used Hoosier Racing Tire A6 275-35/18s for sale, too (not recommended for a E46 330i).

awbusch

Tire Rack test on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus...

OkieBimmer, congrats on the new Michelins. I know first-hand, they are expensive but they will probably prove they were worth it. You might also want to check out... Tire Rack just came out with their latest test on the top of the line 'Ultra High Performance All Season' tires, which included the new Pilot Sport A/S Plus... and these tires came in first place. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot Sport A/S Plus

IMHO... If you are going to live with only one set of wheels and tires and you drive in a wide variety of weather conditions (like I do in NJ), then these new tires by Michelin look to be a good choice.

Happy motoring!
    Art
    '01 330Ci
    '03 325Xi
    '05 X3
    '02 325Ci
    '88 M3

OkieBimmer guest

New Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires have only 125 miles on them but have now been tested on frozen sleet. We have now had >48 hours of very slick streets after a surprise sleet storm on Sunday night. Monday morning, I had to get the car up to my shop (10 miles away) to get the 4x4 Excursion out. I was not expecting much, but they did pretty well for so much power in a RWD car. Again...so far, so good.

loucaf guest

all season tires NOKIAN

I just got 4 Nokian WR G6 tires and what a difference driving the Z4---good all around tire 91V rated and very low noise-and excellant in heavy rain and bad road conditions, just working on light snow and slush seem very good so far..take a look at their web site Nokian tires.....you may be surprised. Oh I live in New England, Boston area.