Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

With what car did you first learn how to drive stick?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Dec 2, 2008.

Autohaus guest

I might join you on the euro bandwagon. Slight chance I might pick up a 85 M535i. Can't wait till our next meet in the spring time.

I've been to DR once way back in 87. Water is so beautiful :cool:. Is that BMW still in the family? Have in shipped here man!

I have no idea what that car looks like. I know more about on how to fix a space shuttle out in orbit than how muscle cars look. I just lol'd when I saw "pistol-grip". Please don't shoot yourself in the thigh like good ol boy Plax :mad:

EDIT: Is that the car with the huge wing? Again, my muscle car knowledge is at ZERO.

M3Driver guest

Ahh...youth. Here you go my young BMW brother...:)

BTW, the big winged car was a Dodge Daytona Charger or Plymouth Superbird. They go for mega-bucks these days (especially with a Hemi). The pistol-grip shifter has been resurrected in the new Hemi Challenger...... That (or a new Shelby Mustang) would probably be on the only American car I would consider purchasing nowadays....

Autohaus guest

I believe I have seen that car before :D. Sorry, but I am so BMW biased that any car other than a BMW (excluding Italians and other exotics) doesn't register in my brain :confused:. I know of a family that has a Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Superbird. They show that car off every spring/summer. Good looking car.

Lori S guest

My dad taught me on my brother's Volvo.

After about 15 minutes he took me out to get ice cream.

HA! Then he made me drive again with the cone in my hand. He looked at me and said, hey, can you roll down the window.
    I almost lost it!

Yeah Daddy!

CoolToolGuy guest

I learned on my mom's '65 VW Beetle, which became my first car.

More Beetles, a few VW Busses, a Rabbit, and a few other things along the way.

Have Fun,
    Rick

bl335i08 guest

My one and only stick was '95 VW Golf GL. The green thing was so much fun; until I tried to climb concrete barrier in it. :( I thought it was just a blown tire, but there was quite a bit more gone wrong with it... They declared it a total loss.

94is guest

I first learned on a 1986 nissan pickup truck. I now feel awkward when driving an automatic. Haha.

granthr

Tell me about it! I have, on occasion, when driving my wifes car, I slam on the brake with my left foot when I go to "Shift". Ahh :eek:

GR

kkratoch

or how about slamming your left foot to the floor before turning the key... or reaching over to the right to shift into reverse then realizing it is a column shifter. :confused:

az3579

Or when you finally do get used to not having the clutch, you still can't get used to how frickin sensitive the throttle is without being able to feather the clutch!

Autohaus guest

Hey guys, I lied. The first car I drove with a stick was actually a 1995 850csi that I have in my garage. The cat is out of the bag!

az3579

LMAO.

Your sig pic tells the tale of having NO garage and NO 850CSi! :rolleyes:
    Learn how to lie next time. :D

Autohaus guest

Rats. That was the whole point of the lie. I knew you guys would all know it was a goof ;). Imagine if I had a 850csi. Would be worth around $35-$40 with decent mileage. The Eclipse was a good car for me to learn in. It was brand new. The look at my aunt's face when I was grinding gears was priceless :D. However, as I got better it was all good.

ChrisV

I also learned on a three on the tree, in my first car, a '62 Mercury Comet, back in '78. I followed that up with a 4 speed 2 liter Pinto autocross car in '80. Since then, I've had over a hundred different cars, with a good mix of manuals and automatics. The 740iL is the fist BMW I've had with an automatic...

Autohaus guest

Nice E38 you have.