Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Questions about car covers

Discussion in 'Concours & Show/Shine' started by m3v8driver, Nov 30, 2008.

m3v8driver guest

H iAll,

I'm looking for advice regarding which car cover to buy. I'm looking for one that's custom fit for my 2008 M3 coupe, which I suspect would be the same as one for the 335 coupe, except maybe the trunk lip spoiler.

Anyway, I have found numerous covers in a wide price range (from $120 - $490!). I never would have thought there would be so many variables to consider with a seemingly simple purchase.

Basically, my M3 is garage kept and will not see much rain, and definately not snow. So, I'm looking for a cover that will keep dust out, and perhaps the occasional rain if necessary. I'd also like it to be machine washable and easy to manage (install, store, etc). It will mostly be used in my garage during long streaks of inclimate weather, so I would hope to be able to find one that meets this criteria for $200 or less.

Thanks in advance for the facts and/or your opinions!

Regards,
    Dale

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

I keep my M5 in the garage and stored all winter as well, so dust etc is what I am concerned about as well. Sounds a lot like what you were mentioning. The Noah is an excellent cover and totally worthy of storage outside, and as described, a bit bulky. I ended up buying the lighter OE BMW cover using the CCA discount. The BMW cover is self storing inside its own sewn on bag, has a clear plastic window showing your rear plate and "BMW" printed on the front hood area. It fits exactly and when in its self storage zippered bag, is the size of a laptop bag. It does have grommets at the bottom should you want to anchor it, but I have never needed it. Mine goes all the way down covering all the painted surface, only exposing the lower 2-4in of the tires. The entire lower edge is elastic. It goes on very easily with just myself and no help. Don't remember what I paid, but believe it was less than $150 with the discount. I am sure it is more $$ now.

granthr

I have a Noah Car cover for my 88 M3 that I got from Bavarian Autosport. It is thicker and a little more cumbersome than the thinner covers. But it does an excellent job keeping out dust and protecting against small bumps that can happen in a garage. My car spends most of its life indoors, but I have used it outside in the rain on occasion. It keeps the car clean, but the car does get wet. I have not used it outside in freezing temperatures. I have had it for about 6 years and it has held up well. I think I paid about $150 for it and it is custom fit.

Bavarian Autosport has a great comparison diagram in their catalogs for their car covers. I was not able to find it online. I don't think you need to spend more that $200 for a decent cover that is custom fit to your car.

GR