Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best Plastic Adhesive?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Sooner79, Nov 28, 2008.

Sooner79

Considering the type of plastic used in most cars, specifically our BMW's and their trim pieces, under dash panels, etc., I broke a small mounting tab and need to glue it back on. Should I use two part epoxy? super glue? model airplane glue? I have never had much success with any of these. Surely there is an adhesive that will stick to this type of plastic and make a permanent repair!
    Thanks,

Sooner79

I just read on a website that this is ABS plastic and it can be "welded" back together by simply using acetone. Can anyone confirm this?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Only one way to find out! I prefer Wurth Fix-all for most plastic repairs because it is mildly flexible, but the ability to repair depends heavily on where it is broken and how it is stressed.

CRKrieger

If acetone will work, regular model cement probably will also. The liquid model cement is mostly MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) and will usually dissolve the same plastics. However, those are styrenes. I don't remember if ABS is soluble. The test is simple. Put some on your finger and touch the plastic with it to see if it gets sticky or if it fogs the surface at all. If so, you got a shot ...

Sooner79

I ended up using epoxy that specified it was made for plastic. It seems (so far) to have worked well. Thanks!

JackinMidtown guest

I've used Superglue and it worked quite well. There is a gel version on the market that also tends not to be as runny in the setting process.