Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How do I insert a photo into a thread?

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by Brian A, Nov 27, 2008.

Brian A

How do I insert a photo into a posting? I can post in galleries, but I just want to upload a jpg into the thread itself. Lots of other people do it, and I just can't figure it out. I am feeling "inadequate."

eg:
    http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3881
    • Staff

steven s

You should see Additional Options and Manage Attachments below where you reply from.

az3579

Yessir. You can either upload them to a site and post them as images using tags like this:

[*img]http://testsite.com/images/testpic.jpg[/img*]
    (take out the stars *)

Or you can click on "Manage Attachments" in the Additional options section when post. It's below the "Submit Reply" button. It will allow you to add images directly from your computer.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Now you've done it!

Next thing you know we'll be inundated with images of an E30. . .
    :D :D :D

[FLOATLEFT] View attachment 1136
    . . . a non-E30. . .[/FLOATLEFT]

Brian A

Body parts only

...Only inundated with images of bent E30 parts, leaky E30 hoses and seized E30 bolts. Once I get that all sorted out, the suspension on my new 318i will be on par with its 138 thunderous, pavement-pounding horsepower. I am glad the photo-posting thing is (embarassingly) simple.

V. cool graphics on the Woadster!

EDIT:
    Uploaded a photo (finally!):

granthr

Brian: I liked your recent article in Roundel! E30s often don't the respect they deserve! :cool: But I did get a thumbs up from a Honda driver the other day when I was in my M3! :D

What motor is that a picture of? Is that an M60 from the E21 323i? I see it has mechanical fuel injection.

GR

Brian A

Thanks for the kudos on the article. Now I've set the record straight (yeah, right).

Now that I've got a 318i, I am more sympathetic to 4-pots. I enjoy how they sound like they are about explode up to about 3,500 rpm. Unfortunately above that, they start to smooth out. I envy your M3's power, although an 318i is lighter (2,600 lbs).

Here are a couple of other versions of the engine photo with the display sign showing. I guess its the original 1978 version. The photos are from the engine exhibit at the new BMW Museum in Munich.

az3579

Uh, the 323i... nor any 3-series, for that matter, came with an M60 V8...
    I think the 323i has an M20.

Brian A

I have no idea what any of these motor designations are. I am going to start a new thread asking for a table of them.

granthr

Botond let me school you! :D The original small six was given the designation of M60 by BMW. This small six M60 was found in E21, 320 and 323. In Europe the four cylinder E21s had two headlights and the six cylinder E21s had four headlights. For some reason BMW change the designation to M20. Not sure when this happened or what changed on the motor when they did this. I have a book at home I will have to review and see if I can find the answer.

Then for some reason BMW gave their new V8s the M60 designation as well. Go Figure! :)

GR

granthr

Brian:

Your article was great. I always love seeing articles on the E30 and other older BMWs in Roundel.

There is something great about a BMW 4 pot. I have two of them and love them both. One has twice the power as the other! :D So you are half way in between with your M42! The 91 318is is often called the M3 lightweight. I know you have the 318i, but sounds like you are on your way to making it an "is". Your new suspension will really improve the handling, not to mention the other new suspension pieces you are replacing. My 84 has all new suspension bushing front and rear. It really made a difference to the handling!

Botond here is a web page that talks about engine designations. Brian asked this question in another thread and this is what was posted.

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html

Notice the notes on the right about the M20 motor.

granthr

Okay here it is. My source of info, "Driving Machines, The BMW Story" by James Taylor, Unity Press, 2000.

The M60 was produced from 1977 to 1985, had the following capacities and was found in the following cars. (the "i"s were left off on purpose for those cars without fuel injections)

1991cc
    E21 320, E30 320i, E12 520, E28 520i

2315cc
    E21 323i, E30 323i

Taylor does not inform us as to why BMW named two very different engines with the same code, but he does acknowledge it. When talking about the M60 V8 he says, "And yes, they do share their design code with the early small-block six-cylinders!".

Maybe someone from BMW can shed some light on this subject? :)

GR

az3579

Wow, I've NEVER heard of that...

You actually made me look it up. I looked on Wikipedia and there is no mention of an M60; it says the two engines offered were the M10 and M20.
    A Google search only yielded results for posts made in 5-series' sections in their respective forums.

I don't see M60 referred to an E21 anywhere...