Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Gauge Cluster Removal

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Solidjake, Nov 24, 2008.

Solidjake guest

Hey guys, here is a vid I made to help out with removing the gauge cluster on an E46. This will show you how to remove it, add gauge rings and how to make your needles red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuZDDAtm2I

az3579

Nice. Stupid me, I used touchup paint leftover from my car. You can imagine how crap my needles look with paint on them.

I can't believe I didn't think of using a Sharpie... nice tutorial too. :)

Solidjake guest

Thanks. Yup, easy as a sharpie. Put up a pic of how it looks with the paint, I'm interested, lol.

az3579

Uh, no. It looks pretty cheap. :D

I'll try to snap a pic of it, but my sister killed my camera's battery and I can't find the charger anywhere. :(

Solidjake guest

Haha, ok. I'll be waiting for that pic.

az3579

Here's a link to a picture I already uploaded. I wasn't emphasizing the colored needles, so I don't have a closer pic at the moment.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/...87 BMW 325e/?action=view&current=CIMG0048.jpg

Look at the fuel gauge needle. See how the light is hitting it on the left side of the needle and it's kind of reflecting? Imagine that on all of the needles, except more reflection.
    With paint on it, it reflects a lot of light and can look like gloss paint.

I don't like it... if only I had a Sharpie when I did mine. (Staples was closed)

Solidjake guest

it doesnt look bad from the pic...

az3579

Yeah because the lighting was "just right" in that pic, where nothing was reflecting. It looks a lot worse when you're actually staring at it from the driver's seat.

If I had a spare cluster, I would take the needles off and Sharpie them. I wouldn't paint them again, to be honest.

khure46m guest

Weren't you afraid you'd damage anything at first?? Haha looks good. Good job.

Solidjake guest

no, you really cant break anything.

az3579

Wrong!

I bent one of my needles a bit on my "test" cluster (one that doesn't work). It bent pretty bad from just a little bit of pressure, and when bent back, you could see bits of it sticking out from the side, making it obvious that it was bent.