Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ok, so the moral of the story is, don't sneeze, but...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MGarrison, Nov 18, 2008.

MGarrison

is a river really that hard of a target to hit? The way they phrase that headline, it sounds like hitting the river would be some sort of challenge...!

Driver loses control after sneeze, hits river

Nov 18, 9:01 PM (ET)

BOSTON (AP) - An untimely sneeze nearly cost Andrew Hanson his life. The 42-year-old Weymouth man told authorities that a sneeze caused him to lose control of his pickup on Soldiers Field Road and plunge into Boston's Charles River on Tuesday.

Hanson was able to wade to shore after escaping from the truck, which was partially submerged in 4 feet of water. He was not seriously injured but was taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Lawrence Callahan of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation said Hanson told him that after he sneezed, "the next thing he knew he was in the river."

-------------------------------------

I wonder if that's covered by car insurance......

az3579

It sort of is a challenge to hit a river, assuming it's a small and narrow one. He could have just rolled and became airborne for a second, completely bypassing the river all together in his spectacular mid-air roll. I don't know what the chances of this happening are, but is it technically possible to hit air, for example, even if it kind of flows or blows*, or does something around the car?

Seriously though, if you sneeze and lose control of your car, then either you're going too fast for the conditions or are a really bad driver. You should be able to maintain control of the vehicle even if you have one hand on the wheel, and if you can't, then get off that damned cell phone or stop drinking that coffee while driving so one of your hands can be free!

* = not open to interpretation

MGarrison

or does something what around the car? :confused:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Boston's Charles River is insignificantly sized, and difficult to drive into if you're veering in its direction wildly out of control at a high rate of speed! :eek:

oh wait - I get it; I think it would take large tornado scale winds to snatch* up a vehicle and take it airborne.

Something tells me this guy wasn't attempting a James Bond-style river-crossing stunt :rolleyes:

* = not open to interpretation

az3579

No, I was saying that theoretically, it is possible to *not* hit a river if the river is very small and narrow and the car becomes airborne because it's flipping off of something. It has happened before!

CRKrieger

Of course it has!

[IMG]

MGarrison

lol CR! :p:p