Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Windshield Replacement advice

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by wretched, Nov 18, 2008.

wretched

My poor car picked up a nasty stone chip that looks like will spread now thats it is cold out and temperature cycles will occur often. Does anyone know if Guardian auto glass does a good job? The dealership ordered a new drip edge for me and messed the paint up really bad trying to install it! They didn't have a new rubber gasket for it either and now the old one flaps around like crazy at speed! Now the second one is in and Im thinking since it has to be replaced that the dealer and Guardian should be there at the same time. Hopefully the Guardian guy can install the drip edge (the side plastic painted pieces left and right of the windshield) without damaging the car!

Notes:
    Automatic wiper sensor
    dealer only ordered a new gasket and clips for the one side
    should I order a new gasket and clips my self for other side?
    Has anyone else replaced there windshield?

Thanks for all the help!

Damien

Jeron guest

A good glass shop will probably do a better job than the dealer.

Local to me, Binswanger is a good source.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

+1. The dealers usually contract glass replacement out anyway. Just make sure that the glass shop knows about the rain sensor and gasket situation. They may know more about this than the dealer parts people anyhow.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Agree on the installation of the actual glass, dealer or contractor. What about the windshield itself? Is an OE BMW unit going to be better than the jobber glass some of these guys use? For me, I will request OE glass. The choice of glass installers makes a difference as well.

Had a bad experience when the mechanic at BMW accidentally broke the the windshield with a tool in my Dad's old 99' 740iL that had the optional infra red glass. The dealer contracted the install to their regular people. They installed the glass except it was the standard version. They had no clue about the IR glass when the dealership called them out. It was a much thinner glass overall so they just doubled the tar sealer and shimmed the difference. Hack job to say the least. They should have stopped when they saw it wasn't the same. Ended up costing the BMW Center over $2k as the IR glass was only available from BMW.

Like moosehead said, ensure the installer knows EXACTLY what you have, what will be needed, if you even know yourself. Going directly to a glass installer will also require some checking to see if they are familiar with German cars. Ask your insurance company who they use, or recommend, as their preferred installers as well.

Bottom line....OE or aftermarket glass...???

M3Driver guest

What everyone else has said. I suggest you use a BMW OEM windshield too. I've heard horror stories about bad fitment with other ones.

wretched

I have no intention of using aftermarket glass!!!! Guardian is the company my dealer told me they use. I have requested original BMW glass. My Insurance company is very helpful and compliant to there customers! I would probably have chosen a further away dealership had I known all of the issues would have. My local dealer has the new parts that are covered under new car warranty. (50,000 miles?) I was trying to clear up any issues with the car before I went to the CPO warranty.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Milk that Warranty....

Great plan.... Once on the CPO warranty, you pay a $50 co-pay for each visit, no matter how many issues you may have, one or fifty. If they have to order parts and you need to return for the service, there is no additional co-pay. You probably know that already.

Certainly go over the car with a fine tooth comb and find anything you can. See if they will perform an inspection and run a diagnostic (may be a little extra $$) to see if there is something that pops up you might be missing. Warranty work pays pretty good for the BMW Centers so they are happy to do it.

wretched

The painted drip edge is ready for me now but I am freaked out about replacing the glass! The chip/crack has not grown anymore and I am considering not doing it. Perhaps atleast wait until after winter. Any thoughts about this?

Edit: I forgot to ask how do you deal with the service manager at the dealership? I had asked him about flush and fill of the coolant system flush, brake fluid flush, differential fluid change, oil changes and water pump/timing belt replacement before something went wrong. He proceeded to tell me that the fluids are lifetime and there is no need what so ever to do any of the things I mentioned.

granthr

If you don't get a new windshield, at least do a chip repair. This will prevent the crack from growing. Most insurance companies will pay for this, b/c it prevents having to replace a windshield. BavAuto sells a kit, or you can leave it to the pros. I am sure the same company that would replace it can also repair it. The process fills the crack with silicone or the like. It actually makes it less noticeable.

Find a good independent BMW mechanic to do your fluid changes. They will be happy to take care of your BMW to BMWs old standards, which are superior. Or if none are around you, go back to the dealer tell them it is your car and you want the fluids changed. This guy is obviously just towing the company line here. A good seasoned Manager should know better than to believe that, or lets at least hope so. You would think they would welcome the business, maybe they are super busy and don't want to be bothered.

GR

wretched

I am happy to report that Guardian Auto Glass did the job for $49 and it turned out really well! Better then the 6-700 dollar replacement price they gave me! I would say it is about 66-75 % less noticeable. Of course today I was hit with a rock or hard piece of salt from a pick truck....

Does anyone know of or can recommend a good indy shop in the genesee oakland county area in michigan? One that might even let me hang around and spectate?