Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help buying an x5 4.4 or x3is

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by suss1173, Nov 15, 2008.

suss1173

My 2001 540ia (sport) was sold and I am said she is gone, but my wife and I are expecting our first and she wants an SUV/ SAV :( .

My question is am I better off saving on fuel and getting the X3is, it would be a 2006 or would I be happier with fuel thirsty X5 4.4. Both trucks would have sport, and cold weather.

Please weigh in on anything I should be looking for on either vehicle
    Thanks,
    Michael S.

az3579

Eh, that first child. Not a good reason to go on buying an SUV, to be honest.
    I still don't understand why you had to sell the E39; it's fine as a family vehicle...

suss1173

The reality is, I have an 05 JCW Mini its still under service and covered by the stealership, so it made more since to get rid of the 01 vs. an 05. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and think it would haul my daughter around safely and all the gear too, but its easer to make my wife happy and hope the SUV will be used to pull a DE/track car some day. ;)

I'm not looking for criticism or to be beaten up, on my decision. I'm just looking for some friendly bimmer brotherly advice/ help. :cool: So anyone that has advice, suggestions, or input on the x3is vs the x5 4.4

I would love to hear thought and what you see as pros and cons between the two vehicles.

BIMMIR guest

I posted a thread a few days back, asking for advice on X5's. From the input I've gotten already and read elsewhere, the more reliable and fuel friendly X5 is the 3.0.
    Is there a reason you're not considering a 3.0? (Because it may be somethiing I haven't thought of, or heard yet.)

Thanks
    Tim

az3579

I was only wondering why you sold it, not beating you up about it. :)
    (Besides the fact that SUVs are the spawn of Satan... :D)

How about an X3? My former boss just bought one soley for the way it drives. Surely the extra space is a plus, but do you really need the extra space the X5 provides over the X3? What you are going to use it for should really decide which one you buy.

suss1173

When I test drove the six cylender x5 it felt underpowered, so I figure, that if I go with an x5 it should be the 4.4 liter. The 2006 x3 and the 2005- 4.4 liter are close in price. While the Mini was in for service last year, the dealership gave me a 2007 x3si as a loaner. I drove it for two days and it had plenty of power, but it was not as solid as my 540 (that is now sold) or the x5 that I test drove last weekend.

My dilemma.... Do I get a truck that's the same money but a year older and a little less fuel efficient or do I go with the x3 and assuming that its a more reliable vehicle, as the BMW straight 6 has always been bullet-proof.

Other concerns are cost of ownership. I know the x3 is a fairly new truck, but BMW has been using that straight 6 forever, and my 528, and 530 were both great reliable cars. The 540 was the most awesome sedan I have ever owned, but it did require more maintinance then the 6 cylinder 5'ers.

Fuel efficiency. My 540 got around 17-18 mpg around town vs. the 530 that I had prior got around 19-20. I felt the minimal difference in fuel mileage was made up for by the added pleasure of driving the 540 vs the 530.

The hauling capacity. While this purchase is solely to make my wife happy, there is an underlying motive. Depending on $ and time, I could see myself getting a dedicated de/track car in the future. If I did this I would need a tow vehicle. Keeping in mind if I did get a de/track car then it would be a light vehicle and trailer. If this happened it would not be until next summer (2010) so a lot can change, but I would not want to get the x3 if I had to get another suv in two years....

All feed back welcome (except for reminding me that I should not have given in on getting the suv) :(

az3579

Ah. Since it's soley to make her happy, then let her decide what she wants. That way, she got what she wanted, and it means more of a chance that there will be a possibility of a dedicated track/DE car for you. It's only fair. :D

As far as towing goes, I don't think it matters whether you get the X5 4.4 or the X3 3.0. It's my understanding that the X3 can tow somewhere in the ballpark of 2000kg, and I seriously doubt you'll have a track car anywhere near that weight!
    Someone please verify the towing capacity though as I do not know for sure.

BIMMIR guest

Well thought out!
    You know, you could be strategic and might be able to "steer her" a little bit.
    If she's anything like mine, you might find the X model with the running gear you like, that just happens to be the color combo she likes...and she sees it and falls in love and the rest, as they say, is history!

suss1173

I like the way your thinking, the more I give in now the more I can ask for later :D

Is there any info on reliability of the x3 vs the 4.4, from my past experience was my 528 and 530 were less maintains then the 540, however the 540 was so much more fun...

suss1173

Good idea :D

az3579

I would be staggered if the X3 cost more in maintanance than the X5. Usually the higher the price tag (when new) the more maintance is required when it comes to BMWs.

Of course, this applies to model years that aren't too far apart... an '87 325i will cost less to maintain than say, a 2003 325i. ;)

I would say the X3 is cheaper to maintain. It isn't as large a vehicle, so certain components don't need to be as strong (less expensive) than say the X5. You won't have the extra fuel expense as the 4.4 X5, that's for darned sure, especially considering the X5 weight as much as my house while the X3 only weighs as much as the garage.

It's got less cylinders as well. Two less spark plugs, ignition coil packs, fuel injectors - things to worry about. Parts for it will probably be cheaper as well seeing as some places seem to charge more for a part "just because" it's this and that model even if it's not worth any more.

Also, think about us regular car drivers; we can't see through those behemoths. The smaller the SUV, the more "other driver friendly" it is. :p
    I definitely hate it when stuck in traffic and can't see how big a gap the SUV driver is making (which they usually are) between the car in front of them. :rolleyes:

BIMMIR guest

As you know, I've been thinking about an X5 as well. I had a conversation with my local CA at the BMW garage. He has an 05 X5 3.0 (CPO) I'm interested in. It has cold, premuim, auto, zenons, panoramic sunroof and rear climate package. It has 33,000 miles and they're asking $29,995.

I had a conversation with him about the extended maint. program that basically extends the 50,000 mile program up to 100,000 miles for $1,695. ($50 deductible) This seems like a good deal when you consider scheduled maint #1 & #2, oil and brakes from 50k to 100 k. (good deal if you keep the car to 100k) Great deal if the tranny blows at 70,000 miles...
    Hell a pad/rotor job for all fours at the dealer is going to run $1200??

Depending on where you are looking at X3 & X5's, you might want to at least consider a dealer stock CPO model. Part of it all depends on how much work you do yourself, and how much you pay the dealer to do.

Good Luck

M3Driver guest

I got the wife an X3 with the sport package and she loves it. Great handling vehicle for what it is.

suss1173

It is frustrating when I am behind an SUV and cant see anything infront, very annoying, so I can see the X 3 being more friendly to the other drivers. ;)

I am going with the X 3 based on less fuel, probably less expensive to take care of over time, and it should be able to everythng we will need it to do. Thanks for the good advise and input.

suss1173

Based on less fuel, probably less expensive to take care of over time, I think we will go with the CPO X3 we saw today. It should be able to everything we will need it to do.

Thanks to all for the advise and input.
    If anyone has access to vehicle info the vin number is:WBXPA93486WD28101
    (2006 X3- Black on Black)