Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What is this Rep Power???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jeff Gomon, Nov 10, 2008.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

What is this Rep Power I see under the profiles, and how does one achieve "rep" points. Just curious as I see people with over 300-500 posts with only 1-5 rep points and others with 85 posts and 39 rep points. Please, can someone explain this system???

Bimmerdan

I'll take a stab at it based on what I know of other forums and how they use it. It stands for 'Reputation Power'.

I think it's based on a number of factors, including how long you've been a member, how many posts you have and whether or not other members have given you any "reputation points". I know that's how it's done on a couple of other forums but I think ultimately it's up to the moderators/administrators as to how they calculate it. It may be based on one, some, all or none of these (how's THAT for a definitive answer !!?? :D ).
    • Staff

steven s

I believe it's when you click on the [IMG] button to the left.
    2 people like this.

Bimmerdan

I think that's how you give someone the 'reputation points'...the "power" part is based on that and some other super secret stuff...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

People have to give you rep power for being good or take away if you are being bad. There is nohting else to it.
    1 people like this.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Thanks for the clarification.... you and Steve both received rep for your assistance:p
    1 people like this.

lcjhnsn

So, it would appear I am the poster child with 87 posts and 39 Rep Power points and I have no idea how that happened.

I did notice that the forum has me listed as joining up in 1970 though, so if time onboard counts, that would explain part of it. Of course I was 8 years old in 1970 and the internet hadn't been dreamed of, whatever...

So, somebody must have been stroking my scale [IMG]

Bimmerdan

Hey! What about me? I like having my 'scale stroked' too!! (can we say that on a public forum...?):D
    • Staff

steven s

If you go here, you can see who left you reps.

Autohaus guest

Say it ain't so Lance! I though you were 35 :D

lcjhnsn

Haha... my kids think I'm 135 [IMG]

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Reputation Stroking

Thanks to everyone for the answers. I thought it worked like that but clarification is always nice.
    Steve, appreciate your input the National Office.;)
    Everyone here got their Rep Stroked by me.....is that legal???:eek:
    Either way, I feel better...:cool:
    • Staff

steven s

Bored and Stroked. :D

lcjhnsn

Now we're talkin'

But the next question is... how many strokes does it take to add a Rep Power point to your stats?

CRKrieger

Uh ... where? Or did I just get a rep because I'm a Post Whore©?

lcjhnsn

The link takes you to your user control panel which should have a box that identifies who left you a Rep Point and on which thread it was left.

But, mine only lists 2 Rep inputs and here I sit with 39 points, which is equal to the number of years since my fictitious join date plus one???

az3579

That can't be; look at my posts and I never got a rep because I post too much. :D

Lance,
    I noticed that your join date couldn't have been possible, seeing as the internet was exactly what it is today. I seriously doubt the CCA was considering a website then. )

Autohaus guest

You will be the first to 1000 posts. I guess after all you don't "suck the blood out of the BMW community after all" :p

CRKrieger

Been there; done that. No box.

FWIW, many forums like this one generate a fictional 'start date' for all the original members. MyE28 comes up as 12/31/1969 which, like this one, predates the internet.