Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To 335 or not to 335, that is the (serous) question!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Reef, Nov 9, 2008.

fshubert

Definately 335!!

I just turned in my 2007 328xi lease and picked up a new 2009 335i. This is my 2nd BMW. I wish I had the BMW bug years ago but will do my best to make up for years of not driving one. I had no serious problems with my 328xi (twice had a sunroof jam) and really loved the car. I put on about 45k miles in 3 years and enjoyed every mile. I'm in North Jersey so was hesitant to not have an xi on the first car but after 3 years, I really think the AWD came in handy maybe twice. So for the 335i it's just a RWD dream. I was contemplating an M3 but just could not see spending the extra $10k right now. I've driven the 2009 M3 and really think I made a great choice in the 335i. My 335i has the Premium, Sport and Cold Weather packages and I look forward to the next 3 years on this lease.

Bimmerhead1 guest

Both the 328i and 335i are both great quality cars and both offer awesome driving dynamics. It's a decision that should be based on your own personal priorities. The final decsion always involves making some kind of compromise. I went with a 2007 335i Coupe. My saleman asked me which one I wanted it but warned me that if I test drove the 335i first I would not want the 328i so I took the 335i for the test drive and the rest is history. Another factor the influenced my decsion was that I was coming from a 300hp 2006 Nissan 350Z. I wanted something the offered comparable power and speed so the 335i pretty much fullfiilled this personal requirement. It's been 2 years now I don't seem to be getting tired of this car. It's an awesome car and the fun factor has not worn off yet.
    But whatever decision you make you can't go wrong. Both are awesome cars! Good luck!!

rbindc

What's Performance Center Delivery?

OK, I give up. What's Perfgormance Center Delivery?

fshubert

I went from a 2007 328xi and it was a decision to go M3 or 335i. The bank account helped me make the decision for the 335i but having driven the M3 I don't think I made too bad a choice with the 335i. Go with the 335i !!

CSBM5

rbindc

bimmernet guest

I sell these lovely creatures and I looking at an employee lease for a 335Ci so I am facing a similar dilemma. My bride of 25 perfect years and the only one with any money sense says with times and sales in the dumper why not just get by with a 328 for a year and then next year get yourself something faster and I'll take the 328. I drove one and tried hard to sell it to myself. First of all is the wimpy exhaust note or virtually total lack of any sound you would associate with performance. Secondly, where's the beef? I dropped the hammer in a 328Ci and it didn't even squeak the tires let alone squeal anything.

IMHO: For the $100 bucks a month or 7% +- of your purchase price it's not enough savings to make up for the utter lack of excitement.

Bimmernet

joepizz

Da 328

I like this thread. I've driven the M and I own the 328. I've never driven a 335. I personally enjoy pushing my skills to extract the most out of the engine rather than the engine trying to extract more of my skills. I think it's safer that way! The M is a different animal. It's crazy fast and really makes your palms sweat. It's meant for the track. I just wasn't willing to part with the $ for essentially the same car with a bigger engine when it came to the 335.

Get the 328 if you like good gas mileage when you're not driving in spirited fashion.
    Get the 328 if you want to replace your back tires less often.
    Get the 328 if your good at the manual gear box.

If you don't get the sport package...you just want a BMW to be seen in it.
    I love my 328 and I don't wish one day that I had the 335. I wish everyday that I had the
    M3

2008 328i 4dr
    sport package
    premium package
    comfort access
    ipod adaptor

az3579

I have to agree; the sport package is an absolute essential if you actually enjoy driving your car. There are way too many people here that just buy the cheapest thing on the lot (white on tan, automatic 328i with minimal options) just to be seen in a BMW.
    This is why I wouldn't want to buy one used that doesn't have the sport package; it most likely wasn't owned by someone who loved to drive and they most likely didn't care for it like they should have. Of course there's always the exception, those who love to drive, just not spiritedly, therefore not opting for the sport package (and higher cost). But who cares, to each his own. :)

The 328i's fuel efficiency makes a compelling argument, but at the same time, you could reach similar levels of efficiency with the 335i. When you're not ragging on it, either one can be efficient and perfectly sane. The difference is when you actually want to open the taps a little, in which case the 328i might be a little bit wimpy for some. Luckily, 230hp is plenty for some, and unlike us, the Europeans have lower powered cars for more money. Just something to think about.

Thunder803

Scott,

I fully agree with you. I have driven my '08 335 coupe for 18,000 miles and it has been nothing but great fun. I drove the 335i first and then the 328i; there was no way I would go back to the 328i, although it is still a very nice and great performing car. Those 300 horses and 300 lbs/foot of torque are great--watch out for the cops/radar/laser though.

Thunder803

absolutely, 335i coupe is the way to go.

az3579

Fixed. :)

GrouchoN328KF guest

I've had my 325i 6MT sedan for six weeks... today I traded it in on a CPO 335i 6MT coupe.

Ah....torque makes everything better. Much better.

carln

Reef, I am right there with ya brutha! After dreaming for 20 years, it's finally MY turn!! I was originally thinking 328, but now I'm now leaning towards the 335. My only requirements are a stick shift and sports package. No Nav, no thank you. Anything else is a bonus. My plan is to buy next summer for a lightly used 2009 model.

330indy1

hmmm, is it worth checking out the N55 version before your purchase? I would. Reef, you've waited a long time for this as you said

Michgndr89

Go big or go home! 20 years of wait is a long time... the higher output has been earned. I just finally jumped in after eyeballing BMWs for 15 years with a CPO 330xi.

And congrats on going manual. It's the only way to drive.