Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 M3 question.

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by Scott C., Mar 13, 2008.

Scott C. guest

My windshield wiper fluid keeps leaking out. I have been to dealership three times. They replaced everything, bottle, tube, etc. Still leaks. I would welcome any suggestions. Thank you

chicane

It's the wiper fluid motor. It is a very common problem. The motor is mounted right on the side of the windshield wiper fluid tank. It costs about $35 and you can install it yourself.

Mordred guest

Chicane, What could cause the wiper fluid motor to go bad? Thanks.

chicane

The motor itself works fine, but there is an seal on the inside that causes leaking from the motor. The only way to fix it is to replace the motor. This is very comon with e46's.

Mordred guest

mahall75 guest

Does anyone have the part number for that? My M3 is doing it too. My dealer says $50 I want to see if I can source it online.

Anyone go a good site for online parts dept?

snikwad guest

my sedan had this problem, i bought a new pump on ebay for like $19 shipped, it works great and no longer leaks.
    search for it and you'll see em on there.

M3Driver guest

Check out this site: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

mahall75 guest

Awesome thanks for the info!

snikwad guest

Verify part # and buy it on ebay, its probaby the same part as all the other 3s. Save yourself $30

Mordred guest

Looks like Im having the same problem now. :( How easy/hard is replacing the wiper fluid motor? Does anyone have a DIY for this? Thanks! :)

grayrogers

Fluid Leaks

My dealer told me it was the pump for the headlight washer that was leaking and that it would be about $450 to replace. Mine is still leaking but it seems to leak less frequently if I use the washers more often. I like the sound of a $35 fix better than a $450 fix.

Mordred guest

Damn! $450 for just that. Would this be covered under the extended warranty? Thanks for info by the way Gray.

grayrogers

Pump

I don't have an extended warranty. I just know that it leaked the windshield cleaning fluid in fairly short order and I had it checked out at the dealer. I ended up just refilling the reservoir and then using the thing a couple of times a week and it has not leaked again. I would rather spend a few bucks on fluid than $450 on a new pump.