Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winter tire recommendations for '08 M3 Coupe

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by boyermike, Oct 28, 2008.

boyermike guest

I have the 19" performance tires and rims on my 2008 E92 M3 Coupe.

Living in Pennsylvania, I decided I might as well invest in an alternate set of rims and tires right off the bat rather than talking about it and never doing it like with my old '02 E46 M3.

Any recommendations from folks for snow or all seasons they are happy with? Did you stick with 19 or put 18s on the car instead?

Thanks, -M

Jbeene guest

You can run the same size tires on all 4 corners in 235 35 19. The only ones I could find in that Size were the Pirelli 240's. They are $241 each at the Tire Rack.

e-mail gary@tirerack.com for help.

whitecap248 guest

I don't think that is the best choice. I'd step down to an 18 or even 17 rim with Blizaks or Donlops M# tires. When you step down you acturally get a narrower tire and more side wall. Narrower tires do better in snow and more sidewall helps with the pot holes.

Jbeene guest

I agree, but if he wants to use factory 19's then that is the only real tire choice available. I did but only because I had a set of 19 inch wheels laying around. BMW OEM winter tire spec on the M3 are 18's.

Mr. BMW

Go with tirerack's recommendation, take it down an inch.

RERobbins

I'm about to select a winter tire for my about to be delivered 08 M3 coupe. I'm trying to decide between the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. I live in Chicago. What are the strenghts and weaknesses of each. I plan on running with 18x8 wheels.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

signes

Smaller = generally better, but 17s will not clear the brakes on an E9x M3.

signes

PA3s are supposedly getting good reviews but are still relatively new. The PA2 was not a good performing tire relative to others, was closer to an all season and didn't provide good grip in snow and ice. The Wintersport M3 has been the leading snow tire - I had them on my E46 and was very impressed, a great all around tire. A big step up from the Blizzak LM-22s that I had. Other people have been putting on Hankooks, which has a new snow tire that is getting good reviews. I went with Nokian Hakkapeliita R's in 245/40-18 all around on OEM 18 wheels. Very soft rubber but the best snow tire I have ever had bar none. The downside will be higher wear and less cornering grip in dry conditions.

CryNoMo guest

I agree that going down to 18" would be the best during the Winter, providing better grip and traction expecially during heavy snow. Leave the 19" for show during the Summer months.

wanesso

skeptical

Can this car really be driven in real snow? Isn't it overpowered from the rear, even with snows??

RERobbins

I had no problems with the car in Chicago this past winter. Would I drive it in deep snow on a regular basis, probably not. But at least for typical Chicago winter city and suburban driving it wasn't a problem at all.

Jbeene guest

Agree, no issue at all, even in deeper snow, up to say 10 inches. Its better than the 335i I had because the power delivery is smoother and the torque comes on at higher rpm. Between the lsd and snow tires its a surprisingly good winter driver. The big V8 will also let you loaf away from slippery intersections from idle in second gear without too much wheelspin.

Its no X5 but doesn't really require much compromise considering what an amazing car it is in the summer.

wanesso

winter driving

I'm pleasantly surprised that you're getting throught the snow in the M3. But still skeptical here in Syracuse NY. Also, the salt we use here really is hard on the car. If I could choose, it would be the higher hp X5 vs the Cayenne for the winter? then again, the Subaru could also do the job:) I freely admit, however, that it's awful hard to come down from the M3. It's a perpetual smile, especially with the right music...:D

Jbeene guest

I had to get a 4.8i X5 for the real winter driving, but the M3 gets me around town just fine. I wash it once a week and plastered it in 3m film so for the most part its holding up well.

If only there was a way to quicken the steering ratio on the X5, it requires too much input compared to the M, but I'd guess this is so you don't try to drive it like an M3 and end up on the roof.

Although I think it is sacriledge to call the X5 M an M car it sure does look like a great all weather solution. Apparently it laps the Nurburgring as quickly as the M3.

We'd have to get a velcro rear carpet to keep the dog in place in one of those!

I've been promised the first test drive when the first one arrives...

wanesso

hmmmm, it may be as fast as the M3 but it couldn't possible handle like one. But yes, you wouldn't have to twist my arm to try one :D--let us know how it drives! Anyone have experience with an Audi S4 wagon or Cayenne in the winter?