Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2003 525i Touring Hatch Shock

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by roberl99, Oct 23, 2008.

roberl99 guest

The rear hatch door on my 2003 525it is not staying up on its own - the hatch shock may need to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what is involved and how long it should take to replace a hatch shock? Are there one or two shocks?

Thanks,

Bob

granthr

Hello Bob: Here is the diagram from www.realoem.com. It looks like there are two different versions of rear hatches on these cars.. One has a hydraulic unit and the other doesn't. But it looks like they both take the same gas shock, only the hydraulic unit requires one and the non-hydraulic requires two.

Here are the links.

Look at item 12
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DS43&mospid=47594&btnr=41_0072&hg=41&fg=60

Look at item 2
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DS43&mospid=47594&btnr=41_1332&hg=41&fg=60

Hope this helps.

GR

roberl99 guest

GR

Yes, very helpful - it looks like my trunk lid is the first link - item 12 - so it looks like there is only one gas pressurized spring. Do you know how long it would take to replace?

Thanks,

Bob

granthr

Bob:

Unfortunately I do not have experience with the touring models. So I cannot picture the way it is set up. If it is similar to the way BMW hood shocks are done, then it should not take more than 10-15 mins, if it is your first time maybe a little more. Just be sure to take note of where everything it before you take it apart. You might want to get new retaining clips for the shock while you are at it, they are cheap enough.

If you buy these shocks from your BMW dealer, they can tell you by your vin if you need one or two. In fact you can put your VIN into www.realoem.com and that might help you as well.

Maybe someone else with touring/wagon experience can weigh in here. Paul?

GR

roberl99 guest

Thanks again.

Bob

granthr

No Problem, if you plan on working your car more in the future, I would suggest buying the Bentley Manual for your particular car. It is a great resource, even if you only plan on doing small jobs like tailgate shocks.

GR

roberl99 guest

Paul? Or someone with IT experience?

Can someone help estimate? Thanks!
    • Staff

steven s

If they are anything like my hatchback struts, they are very easy to replace.
    I would replace both.

DO NOT REPLACE THEM UNLESS SOMEONE IS HOLDING IT UP OR IT IS PROPPED UP.
    If it's like the ti, it can come crashing down shattering the window.

Usually there are different struts due to the weight of the hatch or rather the option attached.

BMWguy206 guest

I recommend replacing all 4 strut assemblies at the same time. Unfortunately this isn't a DIY unless you buy the special tools to remove and install the strut assemblies.

This is really a 2 person job like what Steven S said. I had to help my supervisor hold up the rear trunk door and that sucker is heavy.

BMWguy206 guest

When I get back to work I'll give you a rough estimate but pricing will vary depending on where you go.

jrbabu guest

Yes, it is absolutely critical that you have somebody holding up the hatch. When it comes crashing down, the window will be smashed. On a 525iT, the hatch probably weighs 200 lb; it is difficult to believe that it can weigh so much, but believe me!