Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Stolen Key

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by D323i, Oct 21, 2008.

D323i

I had one of my master keys stolen last week and want to replace it with a new key ('99 323i). This is the old style key with the battery. I know that purchasing a replacement key and coding it won't prevent it from being stolen. My dealer recommends replacing the EWS module (supposed to be located below the steering wheel) and my indy suggests replacing both cylinder locks (driver door and trunk) as well. Has anybody done this before and is it worth the peace and mind of having your car not stolen? I've got 137K miles on my 3er so is it worth it to you?

granthr

I would say it depends. Where and how was the key stolen? Was it stolen from your house or job? What I am getting at, is there anyway the thief can figure out the key he has belongs to your car? If stolen from a random location that does not connect you to the car, then I would not worry about it. Unless you drive the only BMW in town. The chances of a random thief going around to every BMW he sees and trying the key is unlikely. But if you think the thief knows which car it belongs to, then get the locks changed.

GR
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You can deactivate individual keys with the dealer's computer, just bring them the car and all the remaining keys. The fact that your dealer didn't know that means you should try to find an indy shop that has an Autologic or GT1 and knows what they are doing.

But they may still be able to open the car. Replacing the door and trunk tumblers is sort of an expensive thing to have to do.

D323i

I live in the Bay Area so there are a lot of BMW. However, I bought my car in Chicago so it has the dealer front license plate holder. My car key, which was stolen out of a gym locker, has the name of the dealer. The free dealer key chain was pretty cool so I kept it.

The dealer did mention about deactivating the keys and reprogramming them. However, they can still manually open the car but can't start it. But they can tow the car. I'm not sure what the towing company would ask or look for. Would they ask to see some id like a driver's license, which was also stolen? Maybe I'm being more paranoid than I need to be.

I'm having my indy purchase the key for me and have him reprogram it as well.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you notified the credit card companies, your bank, as well as the credit reporting companies of potential identity theft. Also, remove that license plate ring now. Change your house locks (much more likely a target than your car.) Have them deactivate the key from the EWS, and remove it from the remote system (they just need to reinitialize the system with all the other keys present) and for now always set the alarm, especially at the place where your stuff was stolen. I think towing companies may be required to check ID, but you never know.

granthr

+1 With Paul's suggestions. Sounds like they could pretty easily link the key to your car. Definitely get that dealer info off your car! That would be just too easy for the thief. Sorry about the headaches this is causes, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing to prevent your car from getting stolen too.

GR

D323i

Thanks for all the input.