Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

IX transfer case

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Roger Batchelder, Oct 16, 2008.

Roger Batchelder guest

I am looking for a manual or blowup drawing of an 89 IX transfer case (auto trans).
    Any info out there?

granthr

Try one of the BMW breakers in the back of Roundel they might just have one. If you are in the Mid-Atlantic region try CRs BMW Wholesale, near Carlisle, PA. http://bmwwholesale.net/ I have used him a lot for parts and my brother bought his 91 iX from him.

When I need a special part that is too expensive for what it is from the dealer and is fine to get used, I just get on the phone with all the advertisers in the back of Roundel till I find it. You will be surprised at how quickly you might find something. You also might want to put an ad in Roundel. It takes awhile till it hits print, but you just might get what you are looking for. Not everyone who reads Roundel is here on the forums.

Good luck

GR

Roger Batchelder guest

Thanks very much.

Nice looking car.

granthr

Thanks! Also, there is always ebay. I have seen these on ebay from time to time.

One question. Why are you replacing your transfercase? From what Chris told me at BMW Wholesale, almost all of them leak oil, even new from BMW. He is pretty knowledable on these cars. You might just want to give him a call and pick his brain. He also does a lot of 5 speed swaps for E30s including the IX. It is a great swap, b/c you have 4.10 diffs and it really makes the car go!

GR

Roger Batchelder guest

My IX has a shudder/vibration that starts at about 35 mph. If you get up to 60 and let off the accelerator it will go away at cruising speed, but if you head up a grade or try to speed up it comes back. I was told that it was the chain in the transfer case. A used case is around $1000. I just want to see how these things work so I can determine if what I was told is correct.

granthr

Now you are starting to get outside my knowledge of these things. But that might also be the drive shaft. I would definitely have an independent BMW Mechanic look at it and diagnose it before you buy another transfer case. You wouldn't want to spend $1,000 on one and then that not be the problem.

I believe these transfer cases are chain driven, just an FYI I guess, doesn't really help your issue! :)

GR

Roger Batchelder guest

Driveshafts checked out ok. That was my first thought as well.
    Thanks! I will get in touch with BMW wholesale. The 5 speed conversion sounds great also.

Roger

granthr

Roger:

Ask for Chris when you call, he is the owner and is really knowledgable. He is really reasonable on the conversion and he uses new parts on the critical pieces, you do get a used transmission. But those getrags are pretty durable.

Good luck,

GR

granthr

Sorry I missed this in your earlier post! :confused: I see you know it is chain driven. :p

I really love the ix E30s! They look really good with sport springs. Here is a picture of one I just love. It is an early euro model with an m technic or hartge front spoiler.

GR

MGarrison