Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Danbury CT to Monticello Motor Club Cruise on 10/19

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Region' started by TeamStowell, Oct 8, 2008.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Open Invitation to a "Poker Run"

We received the following invitation to another club's event ......

The following is an invitation for your Club to join our cruise/fundraiser on Sunday October 19th. I just learned that Monticello Motor Club will allow us to end our next cruise at their new facility, enjoy lunch and then do parade laps on the full 3.7 mile course.

This took a lot of effort but with the help of Mary Tietjen (PCA-CVR member) we were able to get the OK. This fundraiser will be for the benefit of Anne's Place, a not for profit cancer support organization serving thousands of cancer patients in Ct. The start point will be the Starbucks parking lot off exit 2 of route 84 in Danbury,Ct.

Registration is at 8:00, driver's meeting at 8:15, cars off at 8:30 sharp. Cruise (or poker run) up to Monticello, enjoy a box lunch and then parade laps around the track. The whole event should be over by 1:00.

The cost will be $15 per driver and $10 per passenger plus a nominal charge for a boxed lunch. The Club has donated a Taste of the Track Day ($2500 value) for us to raffle/auction off enabling the winner to spend a full day on the track!

For details and to sign up please contact Neil Platt 845 278 6877 or neilplatt@comcast.net All cars are welcome. Please join us!!

This is being forwarded solely as a "public service announcement" to potentially interested parties - this is not a CVC event. Please direct inquiries as noted above.

lcjhnsn

Holy cow, someone finally posted something in this forum!!! Thanks, Scott.

This should be a great time as long as the weather is nice, although I've been told by the event coordinator that it is rain or shine since they are making an attendance commitment for the lunch caterer.

I'm really looking forward to seeing who and what might be hanging around at this amazing facility!

http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/

az3579

I'm really disappointed that there are two events on that day; I really don't want to choose. I have to admit, the idea of that track is really turbocharging my senses...:eek:

Autohaus guest

Hmmmmmm.........sounds like it would be a great day.......If it was this Sunday, then I could make it.

lcjhnsn

Are you guys serious???

I respectfully respond to those that would seriously consider passing this up for a cruise on the Taconic Parkway or a Barbeque in Cheshire CT...

...the next opportunity to check out this facility and the people and vehicles that may be hanging out there is likely to cost you $125,000 to get in the gate and another $7,500 every year thereafter!

Check out the website! That is MARIO ANDRETTI in his World Championship winning Lotus 78, that is the worlds first full "ground effect" Formula 1 car. There is no guarantee that Mario or the Lotus 78 would be hanging around next Sunday, but maybe they will or other worship worthy people and automobiles

A drive on the Taconic or a parking lot gathering of enthusiasts will probably happen again soon, but this, hmmm?

Autohaus guest

Lance, this is very tempting! I don't know what to do :confused:.

Jayspeed999 guest

I will see you all there and am looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time.

lcjhnsn

I just got an update that they have about 90 cars signed up for this event and they are looking to limit it to 100.

So, anyone who is on the fence, now is the time to commit.

az3579

Chris, for cryin' out loud, if you don't register, I will burn your E28!!!

Okay, I wouldn't, I couldn't live with myself, but I will intentionally screw up your timing belt job!! ...

Okay, I couldn't do that either, but I will find a way to bomb that Bimmerforums meet if you go to that!

The second I looked at the track layout, I was drooooooling. You need your first taste of the track, buddy. Tomorrow when I go over there, I'm gonna put the pressure on you - I'm gonna call and see if I could register you for the event. Hell, I'll pay - you need a track experience, and a very exclusive one at that.

Even if it is for just a few laps...

az3579

We're registered!

We'll meet ya there on the 19th!

Autohaus guest

For the record everyone, I was peer pressured, lol. Lance, I challenge you and I will blow by your cooler, faster, more high performanced vehicle in my family E39:p. I hope it would be ok if my son were to come along. Think they would have a problem with a 20 month old riding on the track? I'm thinking this will be just a parade/cruising lap?

lcjhnsn

Congratulations Chris, now watch, the place will be completely deserted while we're there.

And yes, the invite specifically says they will be "Parade" laps, but there is often great variability in the pace of a "parade" lap, depending on who is leading and who is being led.

But still, how many other underprivileged enthusiasts (such as myself) will be able to say they have driven a couple laps around this facility?

BTW, the place is so new, that Google Earth still shows the old Monticello Airport there.

az3579

I'm hoping it's a faster pace than I'm anticipating; with so many cars I have a hard time imagining they'd be going anywhere near the almighty 30 mph. :rolleyes:

I'm really hoping to win that one day at the track raffle thing they've got going on. I'm sure THAT won't be so slow paced. :D

Autohaus guest

Make sure you have an extra set of tires, brake pads and rotors :D.

az3579

Noooo problem.

Can't wait to get rid of my current pads and rotors. I thought the pads would be great but they squeal like pigs (Hawk HPS) but it's probably just my really worn rotors.

Either way, it's not like I'm gonna cheap out and not buy new stuff when I could win $2500-worth of track time at Monticello. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

Eh, your M could blow me away while your in neutral while I am revving my M54 like crazy! Should be fun, can't wait!

If you win that raffle, then I will have to use the Jedi mind trick on you. You will give it to me so I can see how my E28 handles the track :)

az3579

You dare put an automatic car (with no paddles) on a track? WHAT POSSESSES YOUR BLASPHEMIC MIND??? :eek:

Boy, I'll tell ya about his M Roadster... when I was following him back to CT from Saratoga...

When he downshifted (which I heard loud and clear), I had to downshift twice, say "oh sh*t" and floor it just to not get completely lost. lol

Autohaus guest

Maybe we'll get to see a M1 at the track. If only 100 cars are able to participate, what are the chances?!

lcjhnsn

The 100 participants of this little soiree are members of the local Porsche & BMW Clubs. But the excitement will hopefully be provided by the established members of the facility and their rides, plus those vehicles owned and operated by the Club.

lcjhnsn

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just found out this event isn't being sponsored by the Porsche Club, it is actually being organized by the Candlewood Valley Corvette Club.

I'm not sure I can allow myself to be seen among a group of Corvettes [IMG]

Oh well, the sacrifice will have to be made to see the facility and take a couple parade laps

BTW, it looks like there is a really cool vintage car and aircraft show going on a little south of Bridgeport CT on the same day. I'm tentatively planing on checking this out on the way home after we're done at Monticello

http://www.blackhorsegarage.com/calendar.php