Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Do these things void BMW warranty?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by PhillyNate, Sep 29, 2008.

PhillyNate

I have 2 separate questions about my BMW warranty on my 2008 BMW.

1. Can having preemptive oil changes done at a certified BMW Indy shop possibly void my warranty? My shop is recommended in Roundel.

2. I have aftermarket BMW replica wheels installed that are within specs (identical) to what BMW offers for my vehicle as optional equipment. Does this in any way void my warranty? The wheels are mounted on NON run-flat tires.

This seems silly but I ask because it seems BMW bends over backwards to find a way NOT to perform/pay for repairs under warranty and blame ANY service issue on the owner.

Thanks.

Autohaus guest

BMW's stupid oil change policy every 15K miles is bogus. Changing in between 15K is smart and will not void it. Just make sure the indy shop uses OEM filters at least. Since the wheels are replica's and you go over a pothole or run over something on the highway and get bent wheels/blow outs and lose control of the car and GOD forbid damage anything else, then the warranty may be voided as BMW will say that you ran the car on non OEM BMW original wheels. This is a worst case scenario as the possibilities of that happening are small but hey, you never know. Do you still have the original wheels and tires?

PhillyNate

Yes I do have the original wheels and tires but I am keeping in case of trade-in.
    Thank you for your response.

dmason2002

If you hit a pothole, warranty would not apply anyway. The warranty should not be voided unless the aftermarket part caused the failure. I pull aftermarket oil filters out of active maintenance program cars regularly, there is no official notification channel to bmw for me to tattle.
    There is no such thing as an indy shop certified by BMW, except for body work. the club and the ind. bmw repair network are careful to state that they make no representations for BMW

Autohaus guest

Thats good to know. I always thought that a tech would quickly run to the SA/SM and rat on the customer :p

PhillyNate

I meant ASE certified, my mistake.

1. Only if the preemptive oil change was done incorrectly, wrong oil was used for the fill, and either one of the aforementioned lead directly to the failure of the part you're trying to get warranty for that BMW can prove.

2. Only if the aftermarket BMW replica wheels with NON run-flats lead directly to a problem on a part that can be proven by BMW.

You need to look at warranty in a different light. Warranty isn't singular, it covers every parts individually. Having your oil change done outside by an indy does not void your warranty for the stereo. Having your oil change done outside by an indy shop that forgot to torque your drain plug, having the oil leak out, and destroyed the engine will directly void your warranty on the broken engine. But if the stereo were to break too, BMW will probably cover that. You'll probably have to fight the indy shop to get the engine replaced free of charge.