Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1er 5-door spotted!

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by az3579, Sep 26, 2008.

az3579

On my way home from work today, I did a double take. As I was coming off the motorway, I see a 1 series 5-door fly by me, followed by a 3-series E90 refresh (it's gorgeous!), and a 6 series.

And YES, it was a 5-door in Alpinweiss! I swear to you!

So is the darned thing coming to the US or not???

Spotted in:

Connecticut, CT-15 going south @ exit 52

az3579

I thought I'd get a bit more of a reaction than this... :confused:
    5-door 1er not interesting anyone anymore? :p

Chris Paasch guest

I wish they were over here!!! I have seen them all over Europe and it really makes me wonder why BMW won't bring them here. :mad:

granthr

I just saw your post for the first time today. I think that is awsome! I would love to have a 5 door 123d with sport package! :D I think that is the only new BMW I would buy right now! Great power and economy, you can't beat that combination.

GR

M3Driver guest

Interesting....if you see it again whip out the camera-phone and snap a shot....
    • Staff

steven s

I'd rather have the 3 door. :D

az3579

What made this one special was that it had LED taillights. It was the unmistakable profile of the 5-door though.

If I would have been going in the same direction, I would've floored it and followed them and taken pictures. I saw them literally as I was coming off the exit ramp. But, not like the pictures would've been anywhere near decent; my phone's camera sucks.

susy guest

How can you bring in a 5-door 1-series? I thought that was illegal? If there was a way to do that (with European delivery) I would have one by now!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

1 Series hatchbacks

Actually, here in SoSoCal, we see them every once in a while. . . but they invariably have license plates from Sonora or one of the other Mexican states. . . :(

az3579

Nah... this one had CT plates!

Max Blast guest

I am very interested in a 123d or sd or whatever it'll be called over here when it eventually arrives.
    There was a white 123sd pictured on an east coast dealer lot a few months ago on another bmw site, so you are indeed correct. And yes, I want it.

Themistocles Teixeira

I Have ONE

I live in Brazil and have one 130i Sport, 2006.
    My previous BMW was a Compact 323Ti Sport, 1999.
    The 130i has a 6 cilinder engine like the 330i, with 265HP in a small package.
    The car has all the confort features: black trim, MP3 Player, full integration between cell phone and car, including adress book, with names and voice command.
    Leather interior and sport seats with memories, you could check all service information at the dash board, everything.
    The dynamic is great and the engine has a lot of power.
    It sounds like a bigger engine because it has a very loud tone, like a V8.
    The chassis is crisp, thanks to the multlink system and factory settings.
    You could drive easily at 100 miles per hour, like you are at 65 mph: no worries.
    The only thing that i did not liked was the tyres, run flats, very harsh and rigid.
    I changed for normal tyres, Michelin Pilot Sports, and bought a Motul tyre repair and a small air compressor to be connected to car, for safety in case a tyre has a puncture.
    Now the car is superb: crisp, responsive, easy to drive and with a good confort and please notice that our roads here are not so good, sometimes they are bad, with cracks and small holes.
    I also changed the shocks for Bilteins B6 and installed a short shifter from UUC, very crisp.
    If i lived in USA i would buy the same car or a 135i, if i do not have money for a M3!!
    Here is photo of the car.
    If you want more information about the car, please e-mail me. BMW CCA has the e-mail.
    Bye

M3Driver guest

Hmmm...not bad, not bad at all.....:)

Wouldn't mind one in 135i trim along with some BMW Performance mods. Make a pretty worthy adversary to my neighbor's Mazda Speed 3.....

tiFreak

I would love to have a 3-door 1er, it's like a new ti :D
    • Staff

steven s

You know it. :)

But hey, I've read that Americans don't buy hatchbacks. :D

JackinMidtown guest

Does the Mazda owner get to stack the approximately $15K-$20K he'll still have in his pocket in his car to help in weight balance?;)

M3Driver guest

Yeah, good point....:)

However my neighbor has put about that in mods to his little ride and it's still a work in progress....

Vergne40

The Euro delivery does not permit a 5 door 1 series. So I looked at BMW's Mexican web site. They dont offer the diesel, but do have several gas variants. The prices are listed in US dollars, which is interesting. I wonder what it takes to "import" car from Mexico? Are mods required to make it "legal" in the US?

Zeichen311

No doubt because the base price of a stripped 120i 3-door looks a tad intimidating in MXN: about 338,000. :D

az3579

It was my understanding that models not offered here can't be imported due to emissions...

Our emissions standards are quite different than other places.