Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

"fogged" airbox mod for z3 1.9L

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by incredibletulks, Sep 26, 2008.

incredibletulks guest

I'm considering an airbox mod known as the "fogged" airbox. The idea was posted
    on mz3.net. Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

lcjhnsn

The idea was originated for the M44 318ti, by a guy named Shawn Fogg, thus it became the Fogged air box.

The idea is to get greater air flow into the airbox, but it isn't worth much unless you accompany the modification with some form of high flow OE style air filter.

Every little bit counts...

incredibletulks guest

Mr. Fogg leads one to believe that the best filter for his system is OEM. I was thinking
    that the stock exhaust would be the next to see the scrap pile.?.

pathines guest

Mr. Fogg is quite right, the OEM filter flows significantly more than the engine and remainder of the intake system can handle.

Fogg's idea, of which I heartily approve, is doing two things. It's removing a sound reducing element of the factory system and enlarging the cold air inlet into the air box. Fogg carried out tests that proved the success of his mod, hundreds of folks have done the mod. It was originally for 1.9 liter cars, but I think there's been a few that have made a similar mod to a six cylinder car.

It is on my list of projects, along with a cat back exhaust system and a few other things. I'm looking at a Powerchip which looks good for a 1.9 liter engine, boosting power to 155 hp on 93 octane.

incredibletulks guest

"Fogged"

My airbox is now "fogged", and it's the best $30. I've spent in a long time. I'm saving for a
    GTech as we speak, so I have no hard data. However, undoubted results have been enjoyed. If Fogg's numbers apply, 8.5% more flow @ 6500 rpm, 138hp becomes 150! This is a mod that all 1.9 owners should do, period. I'm sure a similar application would
    be great for any engine. Cheers.