Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Filling up

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Sep 26, 2008.

az3579

This has been a really strange anomaly. Every time I go to fill up at my local favorite Shell station (and my tank is almost empty), the pump keeps stopping after filling about a quarter of a gallon. It stops at least 5-10 times within the next gallon, and after a while it keeps pumping all the way up until it's full.

I haven't seen anyone else cursing and shouting at the pump like I have, so I'm wondering; could this be an individual vehicle issue? Is there some kind of sensor that could be going bad?

Autohaus guest

Simple, the pump is mad that you ditched your stock bottlecap 14's in favor of the popular basketweave 15's. Is it only this gas station that its doing it?

az3579

Dunno. I don't get gas anywhere else. I use the same gas station, every time if I'm near home. Otherwise, I use only Shell when I travel. Rarely will I pump somewhere else.

BIMMIR guest

Thia happens to me at one pump at one station. All the other pumps at that station & others are OK.

az3579

So it's a pump thing? Then why does almost every single pump at this station do this to me and not everyone else? Everyone else just rolls up, starts the pumping and goes inside to buy something in the process, returning to a full vehicle. Me? I have to literally force the nozzle as far down the filling hole so it would keep pumping normally, because if I just put it in normally, it would stop a million times before it got full...

Rickbee guest

Dude i have had this happen i swear it is a way for the pump to gimp fuel for the price cause it sounds like it stops but the price keeps going then it restarts.

az3579

Well, in this case, the pumping really does stop and the price stops as soon as it stops pumping.

cj morgan guest

I've noticed that if I put the pump in too far, it will automatically stop no matter how much gas is in the tank. Try pulling it ouy a little further.

CRKrieger

Yup. That's what it is. I had a pump do that to me on the way back from O'Fest Sunday. If the pump is running fuel a little faster than most, the fuel may aerate and back up slightly in your filler neck and trigger the shutoff. Pulling the nozzle back a little gets it away from the area where this is happening. Running the nozzle slower (if the handle has more than one detent) also helps.

In fact, it's better for you to run the fuel in as slowly as possible so that it doesn't aerate as much. The reason is simple. Most pumps now have vapor recovery. When you aerate the fuel, some of it will get sucked back, as vapor, by this system. So you pay for gas that you give back before it ever hits your tank.

az3579

That's really strange, cjmorgan. For me, the ONLY way to stop it from stopping a million times is to literally shove the thing into the filler and hold it there... :confused:

I look rediculous at the gas station; kind of like me doing something nasty to the car :eek: