Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 M-Technik production figures???

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by pdunagan, Sep 25, 2008.

pdunagan

Can anyone provide production figures for E30 M-technik? I own a 1991 E30 M-Technik convertible (red with black M-tech interior) and am wondering how much a collector's item I should consider it, i.e., I also have a 1992 E30 non-m-tech convertible and I'm thinking I should be keeping miles off the M-tech. I think I understand that in 1991 and 1992 there were around 200 made one year and only 14 the other, any idea? Sources? Also, is there a source that notes the differences between the M-tech and standard 325i? There appear to be some positive performance enhancements, but I simply don't know what they are.
    Thanks.:)

Moonbeem guest

I have a '92 convertible with lower panels that say "M-technic". I really like the way it looks compared to the stock model. I assumed it was an aftermarket add-on. I'll try and send a picture. I didn't think it was something the company installed as part of a package that included mechanicals, as you state. So, I'm curious too!

desertVert guest

Your car isn't rare - it's only worth about $500. I'll take it off your hands. :D

According to http://e30ic.com/prod.htm there were between 140 and 250 made.

granthr

You do have a rare car. I think you are pretty close on the production numbers. In the last year or so there was an article in Roundel on this model. This should not be confused with the M-Technic appearance packaged cars. Those were either white on white with white 14 inch basket weave wheels or black on black with black 14 inch basket weaves.

Your car had the m-tech suspension and 15 inch basket weaves. I think it also has the rare m-tech interior as well. So yes hold on to it and take care of it. Unfortunately most people don't even know they exist.

pdunagan

Thanks, GrantHR.

I took some glamour shots of my car a few years ago and posted them on a forum, just to brag, and I recently FOUND THEM ONLINE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S SITE. Take a look here:
    http://www.e30ic.com/M-technic.htm
    The pics of my car are the first one, the 4th, 5th and 6th. The others they took from elsewhere. Nice. Be careful where you post pics in the cloud...they'll pop up everywhere. Apparently from what I've gathered from the above site, the car could be one of only 16 red convertible M-Techniks with automatic transmission. And, you are absolutely right: it's a "collectible" that nobody knows about. :) I did put it in the "for sale" section of BMWCCA and it'll come out in the next Roundel, but I'm getting shaky about parting with it. It's in the shop now having a new steering rack installed. I love doing suspension work on these cars...anything that makes them drive like new is ok by me, and this one positively drives like new. As of Friday it should be even moreso. I thus far have parted with my '92 E36 about 6 weeks ago, then got a call from the same folks wanting to buy my black E30 convertible...I'd had the dash and seats repaired, and had put a new power steering unit in it in January, so it was perfect. I had noticed that these cars tend to break by not being driven, so it was time to part with them. I'm romancing a Z4 now (my son just picked up a Z3), so maybe it's time for a change. We'll see. Like I said, I'm getting cold feet about parting with it. Thanks for the response!

pdunagan

BTW, in the first pic the car had been fitted with the WRONG tires by Discount Tire. I guess the 15-inch wheels were confusing to them. that was corrected when I noticed that sharp turns caused the wheels to come in contact with the wheel well. Idiots.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

My good friend has this low mileage (74k) 1992 E30 Cab M technique example. Have a look at his website below. Just FYI, he is looking at selling this right now. He doesn't want to, but knows it should be driven more. I just installed a new timing belt and tensioner on it for him before winter and it has less than 100 miles since.

http://www.kundhicreative.com/bmw/

CRKrieger

You don't have to let them use them. They are your intellectual product. Demand that they be removed or that you be credited, whichever you prefer.

pdunagan

Really nice car. I have seen a few cars like this one offered for sale, and I believe I get it now. There were a number of cars sold, all in either black/black or white/white, with M-Technic cosmetics packages; all featured 14-inch wheels and really just a few ground effects to give it that M-Tech look. The full-on M-Techniks, of which there were a sickening few, apparently included the M-Technik cloth inserts in the seats (odd for an upgrade, huh?), leather-wrapped console, wholely different bumpers, M-Technik badges on the front grill and trunk, as well as M-technic-badged door sills and a uniquely M-Technic driving experience, i.e., it drives a little "closer to the road"...read that as "rougher" if you'd like...than a straight E30 cab, perhaps because of the 15-inch basketweaves, and lastly it appears to have a different performance chip, because I get a bit more pickup with the auto transmissioin and a little less gas mileage than I do from my '92 E30 Auto Cabriolet (make that "than I DID", I sold the E30 a few weeks ago...my God, was it a beauty). Thanks for the link. That is a beauty of a car. It makes me truly happy to see so many people taking this level of care of their vintage-ish Bimmers. Thanks again. p.:cool:

granthr

All beautiful cars. pdunagan I would hold on that M-Tech if I were you, but I understand needing to sell. But if you are just going to replace a "Sunday Driver" with another "Sunday Driver" then I would keep it. No offense meant here, but Z3s and Z4s are a dime a dozen. Yea they might be newer and drive "better", but who cares. :D To me there is nothing like a well cared for E30, especially a rare one.

There is a difference between the true M-techs and those cabrios with the M-Tech appearance package. The two cars have the same bumpers and ground effects, but that is it. The appearance cars came with leather interior and 14 inch basket weaves that matched the exterior color. The appearance pack cars were either Black or White.

I believe the true M-techs only came in red, blue, and silver. They have the m-tech clothe interior, 15 inch wheels, sport suspension. And as mentioned above, m-tech kick plates and m-tech label on the trunk. The big thing is the interior, this is the only E30 to come state side with an M-Tech interior. The M3s didn't even come with this to the states, they "just" had leather.

pdunagan

Thanks again. You've made my mind up for me. I'm keeping it. Every so often it does help to have an outside voice remind you of the important things in life, like "damn the torpedos, keep your E30." I'll live vicariously through my son and occasionally drive his Z3. I work from my home office, so I spend a lot of time NOT driving at all, except for trips around the neighborhood, so having an M-Tech and a vintage Vespa in the garage is about all I need these days. When I was ready to trade in my 5-series a few years ago I caved to my wife's longstanding desire to drive a Jaguar, so there's a British abomination :eek: S-type in the garage that makes her very happy, though she agrees that it doesn't drive anything like a bimmer; my side of the garage balances that out pretty well. Having divested ourselves of two other 1992's, we're down to the one M-Technic as a second car, and I have to agree that that's about all we need. It was wearing me out keeping all three, the '91 M-Tech, the '92 E30 cabrio and the '92 E36 in good repair, but one all by itself is totally manageable. Thanks again.