Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I'm Driving a TANK!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by CWINMA, Sep 25, 2008.

CWINMA guest

Purchased an 08-335i Coupe a month back w/ run flats....My impression is I'm driving a tank! and noise is extreme.

Now, after just switching from an 04-Carrera with very wide sticky summer tires, this "may" be why. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Jeron guest

Tire noise is a common issue with E90's. I haven't heard definitively if its the RFT or the tire manufacturer.

CWINMA guest

Nahhh not an E90 issue, a tire issue, I suspect it's the run flats and manufacturer there of is not important, since I "assume" they all will be that way.

I will find out when I see some wear and switch to a nice sticky summer tire.

M3Driver guest

Agreed. I've other other similar complaints on cars with run-flats. I'm betting your handling will improve too once you "lose" them.

BIMMIR guest

car runs like a tank

I had an 07 328 with bridgestone run flats. They got really loud at 12000 miles. I complained loud and long, they replaced them free of charge! They knew there was a widespread issue. They put on continental run flats. Much Better! Good Luck!

06red330i

what tire noise

i cant hear any tire noise on my 06 330i with bridgestones because the logic7 is playing loud to my hearts content, moral of the story: turn up your radio and quit listening for tire sound.

CWINMA guest

LOL I have Continental RF......go figure!

BIMMIR guest

run flats

Yea - I think any of the run flats are not going to have a long life, at least at this point in their development. My new car has michelin pilots on it, and they are sweet - so far. When they go, it will be non fun flats and i'll get a pump & sealant kit for the trunk...

jwgong

When I had an E90 325i, one of the first things I did was to upgrade myself to a set of E46 wheels with regular high performance tires. That got rid of the noise, harsh ride quality, and improved handling. The last benefit was that the rear fenders of the E90 are wide, and the rear E46 M3 wheels fill the space very nicely.

Ramdol guest

The replacement tires are non-RFT's? What size and make?

jwgong

Non-runflats

Yes, they were regular tires. I bought a "Slime" tire kit and dropped it in the trunk in case of flat tires.

225/45-18 front, 255/??-18 rear. They fit fine.

John

Ramdol guest

More on Run Flats

Looked at a 2005 M3 w/under 22K mi. CarFax reported service every 5-6 mos (likely a lease reqmt?), "parts" at 9K, new tires at 15K, tire "repair" at 17.5K, and tires replaced at 18K. Hard to comprehend re-sale values under this RFT delima let alone time units sit on dealer lots awaiting buyers. Tough in auto arena already. BMW lots I visit are full both new and pre-owned. Gag

VertigoFlyer guest

I use the same technique! It works GREAT!!

:D :D :D