Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 E36 Standing Water in Trunk

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by mxg119, Sep 17, 2008.

mxg119 guest

I just bought a 2000 z3 about 4 months ago and found that i now have standing water in the battery compartment of the trunk. I took the car to a shop that specializes in convertible repairs, but they could not find where the leak was coming from. They said they had a water hose over the convertible top and trunk of the car for hours but did not find any water in the trunk. Can anyone help?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Did they check the tail light gaskets?

BMWtoyz guest

And the antenna mounting grormmet?

mxg119 guest

They said the poured water over the trunk no leaks. But I will ask them again to check the tail lights since they still have my car.

mxg119 guest

I replaced the antenna grommet prior to discovering the standing water.

Skip S guest

Bailing out a Z3

Just saw the message on the water. I have a 1997 Z3. I also had water in the the battery well. I vacuumed it out and used a hair dryer to get it all. All in all, a real pain in the neck! I think it came from a car wash high pressure hand-held wand. I believe it flooded when I sprayed the back edge of my convertible top for a little too long and may have bypassed the truck lid seal.

The second and succeeding times I washed it, I went quickly and lightly in that area and no water intrusion was observed.

Good luck!

BimmerZ guest

I would bet that is what the problem is....I just changed mine for the same reason although to a much lesser extent.

Thomas Maher Jr guest

I bet it's the third brake light gasket.. I had to replace mine. Remove the trunk lid liner and see if you have moisture in there. You'll kow if it's the culprit because you'll moisture built up on the interior trunk lid metal panel.

io14

I'll bet it's the 3rd brake Light gasket that is starting to wear out, pop the black plastic trin off & check !