Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Performance Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by ChiTownM3, Sep 15, 2008.

ChiTownM3 guest

Has anyone done any research on this? I own the New M3 sedan and I think it would be a really nice addition... I hate having to look at the RPMS in quick driving and the lights seem like they would help a great deal... I know some people think it's ugly but I think it gives the car that F1 feel and look...

Thoughts?

lugnut guest

I checked the wheel out at my local 2 weeks ago. I walked in and was ready to purchase it; then they told me the price. Their cost was $1100. Their retail price was in the $1400 ballpark, plus a couple hundred to install it.

Basically, you are looking at anywhere from $1500-$2k for the wheel. It felt nice and all, but unless you are putting it on a track-only car, I really don't see the point. In fact, the parts guy was saying how I was the 3rd M driver to come in, take a look, then decide against it b/c of the outrageous price tag. He said that they are probably just gonna stick it on a 135i that they ramp up to $60k w/ BMW Performance mods.

My adivce....keep you money, and spend that $2k on springs, or lighter wheels....and gas.:)

az3579

There's another option:

You listen to that wonderful beast of an engine instead of looking at the tach. Look at the tach a few times to know what redline sounds like and shoot for it by ear next time. It took me no time to get used to the engine sound and shift by that instead of the tach when my tach just died on me one day. It's working now, but I barely look at it because who could ignore that wonderful BMW 6 or monstruous V8? :D

Arash2002tii guest

Hey, don't forget us 4 cylinders. ;)

az3579

(Sorry, I've never heard a BMW 4-pot before. :()

mrtm2008 guest

I've asked this question to a guy who has it in his car with no answer back...can you see the RPM shift lights when you are going around corners, turning the steering wheel? my thoughts is no, so to me it's just for show when you are on a straight away & a waste of money.

Like AZ3579 said, listen to your engine, play around and observe where your your RPMs are when you upshift & downshift. I also have an SMG E46 and even though it hs the similar lighting indicator, knowing where my RPMs were when downshifting & upshifting helped me not redline it more.