Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Painting Contour Wheels

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by chicane, Sep 14, 2008.

chicane

I have an e36 M3 with Contour wheels. Does anyone know how many cans of Wurth Silver paint it would take to paint four wheels front and back? And how many coats of clear? Also, does anyone have a recommendation on the type of clear that can be used?

eightynine535 guest

IMHO podwercoating them is a better option than spray can.

chicane

Not interested in powder coating. I need to know how many cans it will take to paint 4 wheels.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Ask the distributor, they have got to know. Or maybe BMP or Bav Auto?

chicane

I'm asking bmwcca.org. Again, how many cans to paint 4 contours, thanks.

mooseheadm5

Obviously, we don't know. I could lie and say I know. Word on the 'net is one can per pair of wheels, so I'd buy 3. Wurth makes a good clear coat too.

alotawatts

I'd take this suggestion above !
    Maybe two cans of clear based on the info here with 12oz cans -
    http://www.properautocare.com/wusiwhpa.html

The paint will cover better and go farther if you put the rim in a cardboard box when you shoot it.......like a mini spray booth.
    ________

Jeron guest

Assuming you are only repainting the faces I would expect two cans to do 4 wheels without a problem.

Jeron guest

You said Wurth Silver which matches the stock paint. I don't understand why you would need to repaint the inside.

Are the wheels silver now or are you changing colors? If you are painting the whole wheel and you are essentially just touching up the silver back side I think two will do it and three should leave you with an extra can.

For clear coat use Wurth or Dupli-color.

chicane

I am repainting the entire four wheels, front and back, the original Euro silver (Wurth) and clear coating. I still don't see a consensus on the number of cans.

mooseheadm5

Because we don't know for sure.

XR4Tim328i guest

research?

I might be new....but seems as though you could do some of your own research instead of griping at people who are responding.

chicane

Yeah, you are new and your post isn't helpful. I am doing my own research....hence my post.

XR4Tim328i guest

That's not research. However, I still hope you find the answer.

chicane

Actually it is. Here's how it works. You take a bunch of guys who own and work on their own BMW's and ask them questions pertaining to said BMW's. The type of paint I am talking about is used by German car owners and especially BMW's. It is quite expensive, hence I do not want to order too much (ending up with even more cans of unused spray paint) or too little thus ending up having to reorder once or twice wasting time and spending even more money on shipping charges.

Now how would you do "research" for this task?

XR4Tim328i guest

Well, I'd probably contact said company and ask them how much coverage to expect from one of their cans considering overspray. Then, I'd measure the wheels to find the area. That is what I would do.

chicane

OR, I can just ask guys who have used the paint before. They are contour wheels so they are 17".

mooseheadm5

Try Bimmer Forums or Roadfly. Nobody here knows for sure.

Jeron guest

Right, there are too many variables. The biggest is of course "how anal are you" meaning how many coats do you plan to use.

If you find people who have done it before, you will still get more than one answer.

Good luck.

alotawatts