Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tips for a first time m3 owner

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Pedal2dmetal, Aug 31, 2008.

Pedal2dmetal guest

Hello everybody! I am i first bmw owner,i just by a 95 e36 m3 with std transmision with78,000 one owner miles on it. I want to know the weak points of this car if any and also tips to upgrade it.Here in Puerto Rico are a lot of bmw fans and clubs and the bmw sales are bigger than ever.I also have a 2005 mini cooper s (for my wife) with some mods.Any help will be apreciate,thanks. Sorry for any error in my english!

criticman guest

Have a look at Edge Motorworks' 75k Mile E36 Checklist: http://www.edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

That will get you started. There are plenty of upgrade options, each netting various results. I've had mine for over a year and have yet to touch any performance item, however that is changing this week. With the mileage you have, I would see where you stand in terms of your service records. My philosophy has been that if you are having to replace a normal maintenance item (such as the rear trailing arm bushings - RTAB's) and there is a respected aftermarket replacement/upgrade (i.e. UUC's urethane RTAB's in this case), spend the little extra money to upgrade to a better quality part. Sometimes, based on my experience, the aftermarket part is cheaper than the OE part if you're lucky.

Everyone has their own opinion though. Best of luck and welcome to the club!

granthr

The 1995 M3s (up till manufacture date 10/95) came with weak valve retainers. If these are originial you should replace them right away! If you don't and they fail, you will have major engine damage. Anyone have more info on this?

GR

Pedal2dmetal guest

Thanks for the information,it will be very usefull.Mi car"s manufacture date is 7/94 and rigth now i am experiencing rear trailing arms bushes problems.The pasenger side bushing is very damaged and the tire almost dont fit because of tne bad angle of the arm.My toe in angle is crazy but i am working on it.Rigth now i already change the battery,thermostat housing,thermostat,coolant,belts,all the bulbs.I also reconditoned the wheels and door panels.The door panel repair was a genuine pain in the ...but is fixed.I put a new set of tires on the rear,size 245/40/18 (checkout the marangoni mythos)i strongly recomend this tires.The left window is not working but in general the car looks and runs very good.This is my latest project and it will be very fun.( and costly) The car run faster than i expected because i be able to outrun a 03 ford ligthning in a rolling start in 3rd gear all the way to 120mph and two 350z very easily.It will be possible that a stock m3 do that? Photos very soon,i can wait to keep working in this project,thanks!!!!!

Synthetic guest

Interesting post. I just picked up a '95 M3 as well but it only has 37,000 miles on it. SHoudl I worry about the valve retainers and the cooling system right away or am I good for another 20-30K miles? If I had miles on the car I would do it right away, but not sure if time has the same issue as money when it comes to the cooling system. Just looking for perspective.

Thanks

criticman guest

That's a good question. Not sure if it is an "age" issue or a mileage one. Hope someone can answer that for you. If you had the cash now, it certainly will not hurt it to overhaul it with the upgraded cooling components, but not sure if it is your best use of the money.

By the way, congrats on the car and the super low miles!

granthr

Hello: Sounds like you got a great car there! Does it have the forged wheels? They are the ones that have five split spokes.

From what I know of the valve retainer issue, I would do it right away if you have no documentation that it has every been done. It is relatively cheap insurance against a damaged motor. Check with your local BMW Dealership, they might be able to look up your car by VIN and see if it has been done.

Regarding the cooling system. Your radiator and water pump are mileage dependant, so you should be okay there. On my 98 328is that I purchased recently I just replaced the radiator, expansion tank, water pump (with a Stewart High Performance pump), thermostat, and thermostat housing with a metal one. Plus replaced the two serpentine belts and the coolant with BMW coolant and water wetter. I did this work myself and took me the better part of a Saturday morning. It feels to good to perform this work knowing it helps prevent a breakdown on a trip!

GR

MIKEGTR guest

Hey...

I'm also in PR... nice to meet people with E36 M3's down here... there aren't many!
    what color is yours? pics?

Mike

CRKrieger

Your English mistakes are excusable, but street racing is not. I hope your escapades have been on a closed circuit.

kevinheap

This is the first I have heard of this problem. I saw the list of frequent m3 e36 problems and believe I am sitting pretty good as the previous owner was very responsible.

How deep is this job into the engine, I have no idea, what is the cost?

I have a 95 m3 w/ 92,000 miles.