Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Another new member with questions

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Jim Z4M 07, Aug 30, 2008.

Brian A

That's because you're using cheap domestic 100% nitrogen. You should try imported German 100% nitrogen. Wow.

03BeastCharmer

Well you or your Indy is going to need to flush your brakes before you head up to O fest in a couple days, so might as well get that CDV replaced while the car is up in the air :D I don't want to hear the excuses at the autox event, I know you have been practices down at the Murph.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Okay, I hit the button. . . ouch!

Holy cow! If you still call it Murphy Stadium, you must be a Sandy Egghead!

Yes, I have been assaulting a few cones there, but not lately. And my autocross tahrs are on 18" wheels, so when I go to O'Fest, they stay in the garage so I can blind everybody with my pimp red Dinan wheels. And since I now have two years (and two cross-country O'Fest runs) on the Dunlops, it's time to get new tahrs. And since Michelin is sponsoring part of O'Fest this year, I thought I'd support the sponsor, so I went on the Tahr Rack website, selected four nineteen-inch Michelinos, and hit the button . . .

H O
    L E E
    C H I T,
    M O N!!

If you think I'm going to wear out these platinum-card rubber bands with an autocross, you CRAZY! If my math is right, these tires will wind up costing about ten cents a mile!

Jim Z4M 07 guest

new owner redux

Well folks I've owned my pride and joy for 3 years, 7 months and I can honestly say that I love the car more now then when I first got her.
    Some impressions:
    1.The interlagos blue is lovely even if the paint is prone to easy scraches.
    2. Either she has gotten faster or I've gained confidence
    3.I keep flashing my lights or waving...some reply, some don't...I'll keep on saying hi
    4. Nitrogen does work. My tires hold a constant pressure (I gauge every week) and I got great miles on my front tires.
    5. The hard top was well worth the price
    6. This is a car that will steal your heart.
    7. That engine will blister a road
    8. And a huge plus is that I can fit my dive gear in her(2 steel 100cf tanks, wet or dry suits, fins, mask everything including my 1st aid and O2 kit! And I look very classy at the dive sites:)

Zeichen311

Both of which facts have absolutely nothing to do with using nitrogen. Believe otherwise if you like, the law (of physics) is still the law. :D

Jim Z4M 07 guest

Nitrogen is inert and larger in size....it does not leak as easily. I have found over the course of 3 years that I seldom top off these tires. With a standard 78%/21% mixture I am topping off frequently.
    Be that as ity may, I still check the tire inflation each week.
    BTW using nitrogen has the added benefit of being dryer then the stuff from your standard compressor.

Zeichen311

Rather than (further) derail yet another thread in a vain attempt to address the errors in that statement, I'm simply going to refer you to this excellent post (and its follow-ups) by our own esteemed CR Krieger, Esq., who is an actual, no-foolin', by Jove, Real Life Former Chemist® and explains the science that disproves these misconceptions far better than I could (since I only impersonated a chemistry boffin, briefly, in college, although I remember enough to recognize and verify all of his points). Please read it.

And, Gumpishly, that's all I have to say about that. ;)

Jim Z4M 07 guest

ok guess I'm wrong nitrogen is not inert, reacts to rubber and metals, is smaller then oxygen, heats up as easily as the same volume of oxygen.
    I'll keep enjoying the nitrogen in my tires.
    But I agree to that is enough about the nitrogen vs nitrox mix.
    My Z4m is still an incredible car and I enjoy it more after 3 + years then when it was new. There aren't many cars one could say that about:)

330indy1

+1

I don't know what I would replace it with if I had to. (a different ride, that is)

Jim Z4M 07 guest

Amen, the most fun one can have outside scuba diving.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well put, amigo!

Jim, he say:

Indeed---I think my thoughts are pretty well documented, and pretty much the same! But I love my car even more now that some nefarious scoundrel broke in and stole my CLUTCH DELAY VALVE!

Oh, the horror! :eek:

Brian A

If I install a Clutch Delay Valve in my E30, will it give me new car shifting performance?

granthr

Yes Brian it will shift just like a brand new BMW, like Sh*t! :)

Now I must know, does your M42 E30 really say "e30" on the trunk lid? :cool:

Brian A

It does indeed. I was strolling through a salvage yard, saw a trunk lid of Mercedes 300E and couldn't resist reengineering the badge. The old Mercedes letters look almost the same as the old BMW letters, just a tiny bit smaller.

Tacky? I still have the 318i badge in case I want to put it back on.

granthr

Far from tacky!! I think it is great and gives even more flare to a now rare and unique car. :D They look like BMW numbers to me!

Half of my cars are de-badged (540i & 318i), the 325ix will get de-badged later this summer when I get it repainted. The M3 will be the only one with a badge at that point.

BimmerBrad

Those Bastards!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Trunk badge

Aftanas, he say:

Yeah, I have a 318i badge around here someplace, too. . . for the trunk of the Bad Dog, my 325iX. Sure, it has the turbocharged 2.7-liter Dinan six, and it makes, oh, about 350 horsepuppies on a warm day, but it's fun to fool with my four-banger friends. . . .:eek::eek::eek:

Brian A

You may soon get your doors blown off by Jen A (daughter #2) who is leaving Monday in the 318i to live with her sister in Pacific Beach through the summer. This is upsetting; I have sitting on my workbench a brand new set of Hawk HT-10s waiting for a track day. She's taking (getting) the bottlecaps and all-seasons.

frauleindoktorZ

I agree with this sad observation. As I mentioned in my intro thread, I've had co-workers compliment me on getting my Z4 to DRIVE it, not just to look nice in it. I've waved and honked before to others on the road. Don't give up though, Jim! I may not always initiate when it comes to the 'I like your taste in cars!' club, but I do always reply. :)