Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help Clean my Wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bmw3driver, Aug 29, 2008.

bmw3driver guest

Can anyone name a product that can clean brake dust and other grime off my wheels....I must get my car washed like every week but the products that these hand wash shops are using doesnt always clean my wheels good...help

Oh I have M68 style wheels.

2AD Tanker

Meguiar's makes a great wheel cleaner that you spray on before washing the car. It really makes removing the brake dust easy.

Another tip to make cleaning the wheels easy is to wax them. Less dust adheres in the first place and they are easier to wash too.

M3Driver guest

dbogdan guest

Wheel Cleaner

There's this stuff that the BMW part department sells. It sprays on and it wipes right off. Works really good. I think it's just called BMW Wheel Cleaner. I do not recall the price, but it wasn't very much.

M3Driver guest

Yes it does. I picked up a bottle a while back just to give it a try. Make sure you ask for the BMW CCA discount if you purchase. :)

bmwccabob guest

M3Driver guest

The bristles aren't wire but some some kind of soft material (much like the soft wash brushes you see at the store in the car care aisle). I've used it for 3 years now on the comp package wheels on my M3 and new X3 and have to apply a fair amount of pressure when they are pretty dirty. I've never scratched them yet.

Also the wire is coated with some type of plastic material.

And I am probably one of the most anal-retentive type you'll find when it comes to cleaning my car.....:)

bmwccabob guest

cool.. thanks for the feedback.. i am glad we have a forum now... woo hoo..

boqron guest

Believe it or not, I buy a little product at the Dollar Store (of all places) called "Awesome". It comes in a medium size spray bottle and it has a light yellow color to it. I also have a small electric pressure washer. A few squirts on the tire followed by a wash down with the pressure washer is all I do. If the wife takes a look on how good it works, you'll need to buy more than one bottle .:)

granthr

Waxing your wheels goes a long way to help make cleaning your wheels easier. I thought it was a silly idea at first, but I tried it and it really makes a difference.

GR

WDW1Fanatic guest

kevs330Ci

cleaning wheels.......

i have tried a few different waxes on the wheels and then i found Wheel Wax, best thing going to help keep the wheels clean.....still gonna get dirty, but once you get 2 coats on the wheels the cleaning afterwards will be alot easier and less tedious......aside from not driving the car, that's the best product i have found........:cool:

Devilsown guest

thats what I do, I follow up with a spray way for extra shine.

fricker66 guest

Agreed to here as well. Other than the small foam brush I need for the split spokes on my ZHP wheels.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Agree with wheel brush, works great. Agree that waxing (2 coats) also aids in removal, as build-up will not stick as well to clear coat or polished surfaces as easily. Agree that there are some great products out there to remove brake dust. Did not hear/see P21S, which when diluted, is an excellent product as well. The BMW stuff works great as well and I have used both with great results. I am fortunate to have 5 spokes on both my BMW's but my old E30 basket weaves were a pain, so I have some experience in wheel brushing:D

To slightly shift gears, I wanted to just reduce the ridiculous amount of dust that the OE BMW pads deposit. I switched to Hawk Ceramic pads and have about no residue even after a week or two of driving. Now, it is there, but its not black at all. Ceramic brake pads are quiet, long lasting, low dusting and provide safe sure stops. They handle heat much better than most non-asbestos organic (NAO) friction materials, and are quieter and kinder to rotors than most semi-metallic friction materials. They are also less expensive than OE BMW pads. I will say this, the BMW pads are great, they work well and my only complaint is the dust. Enough on Pads...

There are some sealant type waxes that work well on polished and painted wheels alike. They are very resistant to brake heat and cleaning chemicals and are touted to last 2-3 times longer than regular waxes. Don't have much experience with any of them....yet.
    Just my $0.02.

toofast4u88 guest

i use mothers all wheel cleaner. i would say wash the rims then use the mothers all wheel cleaners after. spray on let it sit for like 2 mins. rinse off then use a microfiber towel, or somethin. made my wheels look like new again.

phanley

I'm also a big fan of Wheel Wax. If your wheels have an intricate spoke pattern it would be worthwhile to apply a coat of sealant first, then Wheel Wax on top. I've heard that Klassy AIO and SG on wheels is a killer combination.

Qunadry

I learned the hard way on my 1988 Porsche 911 with anodized wheels that the only way to treat wheels is the same way you treat the paint. Wash them with car wash solution after you do the rest of the car with a cotton wheel brush. Wax them every time you do the paint. I have used Mother's California Gold wash and California Pure Carnuba wax for over twenty years on several cars and have never been disappointed. Even my winter wheels still look like new on my soon to be replaced 2007 335i (my new 135i is currently in production).

jgilbert

Ok I did the wheel wax thing. Now what i the bast way to remove it! I think I spent 15 20 mins removing it per wheel.

Is there some removal secret?

Thanks

kevs330Ci

just time and patience....maybe apply less next time.....might come off easier.....