Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine replace? or Rebuild

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by dwarner50, Aug 25, 2008.

dwarner50 guest

I'm getting on up towards 200k and considering either a rebuild or an engine swap. Wondered what the opinions are out there...I'm figuring I can get a used engine with 100k or less for $1500 or less.

Thoughts?

wve28

What engine are you speaking of?

dwarner50 guest

What engine?

M52 1997 528I

thanks!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That engine can keep going if you have been taking care of it. If you have not, I wouldn't want to rebuild it. I, personally, would do an S52 swap. Very straightforward change- it bolts right in. Now the electronics are a different story, but it will run on the stock ECU pretty well. I would see if Jim Conforti has software for this swap. Good luck!

bmwcrazy guest

Try looking at CAR-PARTS.com. You can also use an egine from a 328 by using your oil pan.

bmwcrazy guest

My bad - Did not read the entire post...You can not use a 328i engine. But CAR-PARTS.com is a great web site to look for used parts.

az3579

Why not? They're both M52's.
    An S52 in an E39... I cannot believe I've never thought of that. Problem is, the motor is pretty darned expensive, double of that M52 you mentioned the price of.