Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Problem with iPod Classic and 6FL

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Jonathan Spira, Mar 8, 2008.

Jonathan Spira guest

I just tried a new iPod Classic (amazing how the 80 Gbyte model is thinner than my 30 Gbyte prev. generation iPod) and - after it's interrupted (phone call for example) it seems to "skip" (in other words there is an interruption every few seconds although the timer seems to continue).

I haven't tested it extensively but it clears when I unplug and replug it in.

My car (a 550i) has Progman 27.x (not sure but think 01) - early October 2007 build.

Anyone else using an iPod Classic?

(P.S. yes I am using the new BMW iPod cable)

Jonathan Spira guest

Based on feedback from other forums, it appears all I need is a Progman upgrade.

I'll post more when I get this done.

Jonathan Spira guest

Update On Skipping Problem

Much has happened on this front in the past 24 hours.

At first, after consulting with the BMW product engineer responsible for Apple integration and also with someone at Apple, I reformatted the iPod and thought it was remedied.

That's because I hadn't recalled the exact sequence of what causes the skip.

The skip only starts after I place a phone call and specifically seems to only start after I use a Favourite button to make the call.

So we're back to square one.

az3579

Perhaps it's a bug in the BMW software? Did you ever end up doing that software update that was recommended?

Jonathan Spira guest

No, I haven't. BMW doesn't want to perform the upgrade unless they know it will resolve the problem (there is no documentation of this problem in any SIBs) although I suspect they will probably want to experiment and try an upgrade after they review my update on the problem and how it occurs.

az3579

That's somewhat of a stupid response from them. How do they know it won't fix the problem if they don't try it? Even some individual problems (problems nobody else is experiencing) can be fixed by updating. Also, it's important to keep in mind that just because the problem hasn't been reported doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist elsewhere as well as for you. Maybe this is a rare software bug that only affects a select few owners and those owners just so happened to ignore it and not report it.

Do they charge you for the update or is it free? If it's free, I just think they're trying to avoid the work. :rolleyes:

Jonathan Spira guest

Updates are covered by warranty but BMW makes dealers prove that an update was necessary in order to reimburse them (since it can take 8 hours and occasionally results in fried components as well).

I fully agree with what you said about the problem simply not having been reported.

I always go out of my way to report such issues and frequently hear "that's the first we're hearing of this" - but fortunately I'm usually able to ensure that the problem is still taken seriously and resolved.

I first spoke with BMW's engineer for iPod integration late last week. I was (admittedly) busy with other things in the previous weeks and first came back to it then.

His response was appropriate given the fact that it was first being brought to his attention.

I suspect that they will wish to try the upgrade on my car and I also suspect they won't be able to duplicate the problem easily.

I do want to wait until Tuesday, when I should have another new iPod Classic in hand, to see if that does resolve the problem. Otherwise, I'll lose that opportunity if the car gets upgraded first.

az3579

Try this perhaps with other models of iPod. For example, try an iPod touch (if possible) or a nano. If it doesn't do it with the other Classic you will be trying, then the perhaps the iPod software needs an update, which takes not even 2 minutes and is free. :)

Jonathan Spira guest

Right now, BMW has done extensive testing in its labs (FIZ).

They were not able to duplicate the problem although they advised of some reports of problems with the Classic and both the iPod/USB option and the MOST-bus CD changer interface.

In the meantime, I obtained a new 160 Classic and had a similar problem.

Jonathan Spira guest

An additional update

BMW has not been able to reproduce the problem so I left my iPod Classic 160 in Munich since it's known to create the problem.

I have been in contact with BMW multiple times on this and it is being looked into very carefully.

Jonathan Spira guest

Since we last looked into this issue, my car was updated to the latest version of Progman.

I tried two brand new iPod Classic players and both eventually stuttered after I was on the phone in the car (via Bluetooth) for several minutes.

The iPod did not stutter after a few short calls however.

Jonathan Spira guest

I think we have found the problem...

The dealer upgraded my car's Progman to the latest 30.x version.

Unfortunately, I still had the stutter problem PLUS the iPod crashed once or twice after using the phone.

It then occurred to me that we hadn't tried swapping the Y-cable. I asked if there had been any updates/changes to the cable and indeed there was a new version (this means that this is the third Y cable to come out although it looks similar to the second).

BMW NA overnighted a new cable to me and - voila - no stutter after extensive testing today.