Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Noise, vibration, and so on

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by csamherst, Aug 21, 2008.

csamherst guest

01 330Ci Auto.

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the Torque Converter (code P0741) and front arm bushings. The car started to shake after one week and went worse. Noises mainly came from rear center area, huge pounding noises and rattling clicking sort of noises at different rpms. The rear body went up and down several inches when shifting from R to D.

Took her to my favorite shop and found the CV joint (?) exploded. Got it replaced and she was smooth and ready to go.

However after 100 highway miles on the clock, weak rattling came back and feel it will be getting worse. It sounds like a loose spring. There is also lound muffler like noise and is developing, and what's more, when shifting between gears the rear body still goes up and down several inches quite noticeable. I'm paranoiac worried the CV stuff will blow again shortly.

Another weired thing bothers me. The key cannot rotate to the off position after the engine goes off, and I need to push the shifter forward a bit (engine off) till a click is heard. It's a small black part under the shifter leather which gets stuck when engine under load, and consequently the key cannot go to off position when it's stuck. Not a big issue but annoying.

I'm speculating all these symptoms are related but not sure. The shop is quite far from my current location (I live in two places) and I'm not sure if its worth another trip.

Would like to hear any suggestions. Thanks!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You have problems with driveshaft alignment or trans mounts or something. The key problem is related to the trans not lining up with the shift linkage properly. Did you actually replace the torque converter yourself? Is it possible you got something on wrong?

csamherst guest

Thanks mooseheadm5. The torque converter job was done by an indy shop, a well recommended one actually. Although I'm not familiar with most of the terms I did guess it's the trans mounts problem.

The shop is more than 150 miles away and I hesitate to drive down again. Trying to find some closer indy shops, but there seem to be very few in western MA / northern CT area...

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If you don't take it back to them, they cannot warranty it. You give up your right to have them cover it in most states. Call them in the morning.

csamherst guest

You are right! Will do it first thing in the morning.