Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Does the windshield wiper mechanism wear out?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian A, Aug 15, 2008.

Brian A

On my 1987 325i convertible's windshield wiper mechanism, the "Drive Rod" (Part 61611370796) recently dropped off of the "Linkage for Wiper" (Part 61611370792).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BB13&mospid=47326&btnr=61_0885&hg=61&fg=45

I removed the driver-side wiper, plastic cover plate, greased things up and squeezed the Drive Rod back onto the Linkage for Wiper with a pair of Channel Lock pliers. The Drive Rod when on very easily so now I am worried that it's just barely hanging on there.

I have two questions. 1.) is that connection really only a press fit? (I can't see a spot for a pin, clip or nut). 2.) Does the Drive Rod need occasional replacement due to wear?

The wipers a working again, but it's going to be months before it rains and I'd hate to lose the wipers on some winding road in a rainstorm.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yes, that pivot joint does wear out. I have had to replace them before for customers. It is a ball and socket, so it just pops in. They also bend.

Brian A

Looks tricky to replace

Thanks. I think I need a new one since the existing one (probably original) just fell off by itself.

All the work has to be done through that little 2 inch by 12 inch access port below the driver's wiper. Looks like it can be tricky.

mooseheadm5

Yup. You need one, and you have to do the work through that hole. Enjoy!

Do yourself a favor and tighten the nut #8 while you are at it. Let me know if you have any problems.

MGarrison

If necessary, you can also

mooseheadm5

Hopefully you won't have to do that, though. The blower fan shroud is in the way and it is very easy to break the recirc doors when removing the them.

MGarrison

ya, +1 on that... _very_ easy to break!

cj morgan guest

I'm have trouble with my windshield wipers too. The don't always work. I have to push the windshield wiper switch either hard up or down for them to finally kick in and then they occasionally stop working. Any thoughts?

mooseheadm5

Common problem there is the wiper relay, but the switch is also suspect. If you know someone with an E30, ask to swap the relay. It is in the fuse panel and it says Wisch Wasch on it or something like that. If that does not fix it, I would suspect the switch.

cj morgan guest

alright thanks i'll try it

Brian A

Project Report Out

Did the deed last night. May as well document what I learned:

I had to remove the firewall panel. It changed the job from impossible to reasonably easy. I spent way too much time trying to do it without removing the firewall panel.

Quite frankly, I can't believe even a pro do the job through the topside access port due to the leverage required to remount the Drive Rod on the Motor Crank Arm. It is 12 inches away down a channel so narrow you can't even fit a hand in.

I used the ignition switch to stop the wipers at a partial cycle position to relocate parts at a more accessible spot.

I pressed on the Linkage for Wiper side first with my channel lock pliers. That stabilized the Drive Rod. I could then used the channel locks again to press the Drive Rod back onto the motor crank arm. A "dentist mirror" was handy to see what I was doing.

There IS enough room to work around recirculation flaps and keep them intact. Thanks for the warning; I was very fearful of breaking the flap the whole time I worked.

Man! A tough job to replace a $6 part! I hope it lasts another 22 years.