Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1995 M3 Sunroof Problem

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by radm635, Mar 8, 2008.

radm635 guest

Anyone ever been into the Sunroof cassette on a 95 M3?
    The actual problem is that when closed, the drivers side rear corner of the roof is not flush with the roof when the panel is in the closed position. It sits about a 1/4" lower at the midpoint of the corner curvature.

Is there a way to adjust the height of the panel? As familiar as I am with aspects of this car, I have never been into one of these roofs. Any info would be appreciated... either by post or pm. Thanks!

shadowpuck

i'm getting ready to dig into the sunroof on my '95 325is, but for different reasons. i think there are two screws that adjust the way the panel sits. i'm not sure, however.

there's plenty of discussion on this on a few sites you might take a look at. check out the major BMW forums such as bimmerforums, etc. there's quite a bit of talk about the sunroof cassette......

sorry i dont have more detailed info, i'll try and document/shoot photos of mine when i take it apart....

radm635 guest

Thanks very much for the input. I have not had the time to do a search on this issue but will soon. I am now on the tail end of a complete interior swap (gray to black) and I want to make sure the sunroof is working correctly before the windshield goes back in. I do know that supposedly when there are issues with the cassette, dealerships just replace them and do not service them but I have not confirmed that. If you do take pictures or figure out how to adjust the panel height, let me know and I would be appreciative of the info/pictures.
    I can certainly tell you how to get all the stuff off to get the cassette out if you have not done that before.

shadowpuck

absolutely! any tips you have, i'm always thankful for those!!

i'm going to be doing an interior conversion as well - the top half of my interior was gray and i've got a sagging headliner, so that was the perfect excuse to finish it out black.

anything special to reinstalling the rear shelf cover? in removing it, it didn't look like anything special, but it looked like it would be tough to get the proper angle on the connectors near the back window....

radm635 guest

It is no big deal to get the rear package tray in... you just need to bring it in at a reasonable angle and get the back seated then drop the front down. What I found to be a pain was that I replaced my package shelf and I had to cut the speaker holes in the new one. Be glad you have a coupe... on a four door you have to take the windshield out to remove the headliner or sunroof cassette. Of course, I happen to have the windshield out anyway so it makes it much easier.