Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPod USB interface

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by whorgan, Aug 11, 2008.

whorgan guest

has anyone installed the ipod usb interface themselves. i have a 2007 335i with the premium package. new to the forum and bmw, just got the car 2 weeks ago and can not get over how great this car is!

Pete540i guest

Welcome to the club! Sorry I have not installed this option but I was hoping that you could tell me the difference between the "iPod USB Adapter" found in the Options area for $400 and the "iPod Interface Adapter" found in the accessories/technology area for $320? I was planning on gettinig a 135i and am looking at how I want it set up. Thanks to your recent purchase experience I thought you might know. Ciao
    Pete

lens314

It might be possible. I read on another forum bimmerfest.com or e90post.com that someone did it (in the UK possibly?) It cost a bunch of money.

Here is all I know off the top of my head, I might be missing somethings though:
    iPod USB Adapter(6FL factory option code) is installed usually at the factory, and adds a USB slot to the car, where you can plug in any MP3 player or USB flash hard drive with FAT32 formatting into it. If the MP3 player or Flash drive has MP3s on it, you can play them with the car radio. You can also plug in an Apple iPod w/ the supplied cable and have direct control of the iPod from the car radio.

The iPod Interface Adapter is a dealer installed option that adds just a iPod cable that allows you to control an iPod directly. It does not allow use of a USB MP3 player or flash drive like 6FL does.

I have 6FL in my car, and it is great!

Jonathan Spira guest

It's not possible as there is no retrofit kit available and, even if there were, it would not be a DIY project as this involves coding the car for the new components.

If you want the iPod USB interface, you have to order the car with it from the factory.

Otherwise, you can install the BMW MOST bus iPod retrofit kit which gives you a lot but not all of the functionality of the 6FL option.

lens314

I can not find the original post I saw, but here is a thread that is talking about all the nuts bolts and wires that may need for a 6FL retrofit. Apparently, there is a retrofit in Europe(which would explain why I read somewhere in Europe someone had 6FL retrofited), but it is not availible for the US yet.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93607&highlight=6FL retrofit&page=3

Someone took the EU retrofit instructions to a US shop, and gave a estimate of $1000+.

If I where you, I would get the dealer installed adapter, or use MP3 CDs for now, and get 6FL on my next BMW.

Jonathan Spira guest

Part of this has to do with how cars are equipped and - at least at the beginning when the retrofit was discussed for Europe - it was not available for cars with certain equipment (including CCC).

I am not sure of the status of the retrofit kit in Europe but BMW NA has told me there are no plans to support it here.

halfpastfive guest

The iPod interface connector can be potentially installed by the owner as long as the car(CD player in head unit) is able to play MP3s and a 6 CD changer. As far as I know there is no further coding needed. The downside is that you lose the 6 CD changer. This a thread from e60.net: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=59271&start=100
    This differs from the iPod USB interface that, as mentioned above, allows USB connectivity for flash drives as well.