Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Vented Discs

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by dbogdan, Aug 1, 2008.

dbogdan guest

Hi all!

I need to replace my rear rotors on my 1991 750IL. The guy at the parts store has a set of european vented rotors in stock to the tune of $143 (US) each. The stock rotors from autozone are about 59.00 each. TFirst of all, what the heck are european vented rotors? Do they make any difference for a daily driver? No real plans to take her down to Road America! I don't mind spending the money if I'm going to get something out of it, but I certainly don't want to waste it.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

Dave

CRKrieger

Not unless you get them really hot on a regular basis. Which is rather unlikely in the rear, even on a Land Barge like the 750.
    Yeah; why not bring it down to RA? We have a lotta fun here. But no; you don't really need the vented rotors. Heck, I'm an RA instructor and I don't need 'em.

dbogdan guest

Thanks for your help! And Yes it IS a barge at that! But very comfortable and powerful.

Jeron guest

The ones at autozone should be vented as well. It simply means there is a void between the two pad mating surfaces. The autozone will work fine and are probably indistinguishable from the BMW rotor.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I would bet that the expensive "vented" rotors are probably just cross drilled or gas slotted. You don't need that. The 750iL brakes are great.