Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tape on headlights

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by az3579, Aug 1, 2008.

az3579

Sorry but this applies to multiple subforums so I just posted in one of them...

Why do some people put the tape all over their headlights at DE events or races?

Bimmerdan

A couple of reasons. One of them is to protect your lights against getting chipped or cracked from flying debris (the new adaptive headlights are stoopid expensive to replace!!). The other reason is so that if you DO break a headlight, you don't leave broken glass on the track for other cars (or yourself) to run over and get a flat. That's a bad thing at speed. It's a similar reason to why a lot of people drain their coolant before a track event and replace it with plain water. If you overheat or puncture a radiator, you don't want to spill oily antifreeze all over the track. Makes for a very nasty surprise!!

az3579

Ah! Enlightenment.

I'll be attending my second DE in August. Armed with this knowledge, while only in the Beginner class, I will probably drain my coolant and replace with water and tape up my headlights (though I despise the look of it). I noticed some people put X's on the lights as opposed to taping it up completely. Is this just as effective?

Also, I noticed that the race cars, such as the WTCC cars, don't have any tape on the lights. Are the light lenses made of a special material that doesn't break? If not, how do they prevent the lights from breaking? They can't tape them up because they need the lights in the rain, which is why this got me curious.

Bimmerdan

In some cases they are made of a high impact lexan material that won't shatter. Plus, they don't care if the lights get chipped, as long as they keep working.

I actually had the 3M protection film applied to the 135, it serves the same purpose and looks better than the tape (although, you can get painters tape in colors other than blue...maybe you should get a different color and then draw eyeballs on them...:D )
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I would just put protective film over your lights. If those are your lights in the picture, I'd want them protected at all times.

az3579

lmao

I probably will do that. It would create quite a stir. Perhaps I'll get something that's not as thick so I could turn the lights on and illuminate the drawn-on sharpie eyes. :D

This 3M protection film; does it matter which one you get? Do they all protect the same way?

I should probalby get this to protect my headlights. They were pretty expensive ($200/pair) so the last thing I would want is to buy another set of headlights if these get damaged.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Protective films vary by quality. I would recommend looking to see good reviews. I have seen some where the adhesive is not so great and yellows over time. Check Bavarian Autosport, BMP, etc. Definitely go for thicker where possible. You can even get smoke tint (looks cool, but slightly reduces light output.) I wholeheartedly suggest it. I had a Hella taken out by a rock on the interstate, then water got in and blew the bulb. I always meant to replace the lens, but not without protective film. That was a few years ago (it has packing tape over it- I'm so ashamed!)

CRKrieger

No; but it keeps big pieces from falling out. The X is more of an old-time sports car holdover from the 1950s.
    Actually, they do. If they are glass, it is a rule in every series I know of to remove or cover and secure the lens. If they need to use the lights, they apply a transparent film or tape. Glass shards on a race track is a huge no-no.
    • Staff

steven s

I used to tape up my lights because I saw everyone else doing it.
    Now after 10 years of DEs, I see no reason.
    Rarely is there car to car contact. If there is going to be contact it's going to be off track into armco or a tire wall. I'm more worried about someone dropping oil or antifreeze that glass or plastic.

I have seen more people leave the track at night with their lights covered. :eek:

If anyone is that worried they might as well tape their car up on the street too.
    I've gotten 2 rock chips on my windshield at the track but have had a headlight smashed on the highway from falling debris. Not to mention my share of cracked winhshields.

In the past 5 years the only time I used tape is when a bird struck my right corner light and it popped out. I taped it up to finish my weekend.