Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Too sports package or not too sporst package...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jul 27, 2008.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

...that is the question? I have a 2003 530 without the sports package..chromed out windows baby! I wanted to upgrade my suspension, just to get the feel of the sports package. But some people say they don't like the stiffer suspension of the sorts package, and it's not worth the price to upgrade if you don't have it. Other say I'm missing out not having the sports package. I love the control and handling of my 530 right now, but if it gets better than this, I'm tempted to upgrade suspension just for that sports package feel. What's the verdict? Thanks for the response.

az3579

It will have a stiffer ride if you feel you need to upgrade the suspension to something more sporty. Some of that 5 series comfort will be sacrified, but not all of it. I'm sure you can find a good balance between comfort and handling if you do decide to get new hardware. Also, the ride will be a bit lower, so be wary if there are big speed bumps or things of that sort, though I don't think that would be an issue with the 530i bumper. It's usually the very low spoilered cars that have that problem.

Lowering the car does give it a unique appearance though. Some cars are way too high and look goofy, even with stock wheels (like mine) because you could see the strut between the wheel and the fender, which is quite unsightly. If you lower it, you won't see it as much, and depending on the size of your wheel, might actually cover it up completely. A lowered suspension offers the lowered centery of gravity as well, so if you are the kind of person who likes corners, then that would certain cater to your driving style and provide additional beneft. With that is the suspension's stiffness, as I mentioned before, which reduces body roll a bit and makes the car a bit more controllable. You should get more of a planted feel and might actually give you more confidence, though you could get in trouble with that if you come 'round a corner too quickly for an officer's tastes...

What would I need to lower the car, just springs?

az3579

Springs are to lower the car and the shocks/struts all around is for the firmer suspension.

So if just do springs, I will see a difference but how much of difference will I feel if I just do springs and leave the shocks and struts stock?

az3579

I honestly have no clue. Every single person I have seen that lowered their car did shocks/struts as well as the springs, so I still don't know if it's possible to just do springs... I think it might be necessary due to the added strain to the existing suspension parts when the car is lowered. The upgraded shocks/struts probably take care of the weight of the vehicle when it's lowered.

kkratoch

How do you drive the car? Do you find body roll to be a problem?
    I would not spend the money on new shocks/springs unless you really need them.
    I purposely did not get the sports package on my 330i. I did not want the harsh ride (coming from a Z4 with sport pkg). Although I am sure a 530i rides much nicer. I love the way my car handles and do not not go to the track so my stock setup is fine. I think it all comes down to whether or not you are happy with what you have. If not, then go ahead and get the new suspension. One thing to remember is if you lower the car you may have problems with scraping. You may just want to try larger sway bars. Just a thought.

Autohaus guest

My 2001 525i did not come with sports package, though I think down the line before I purchased it, it was lowered, thus having a sport suspension. I measured my car using my cell phone as a guide and compared it to a 2003 530i at my jobs parking lot (I hope the owner wasn't around as I would have gotten an earful for being near his/her car) and my 525i is about an inch lower from the front. If you are going to change the springs, you should consider changing the shocks as well.

Yes, Sport Package

I have owned a number of E39s and I must say the Sport Package is essential. In no way do I feel the suspension is too harsh. My wife's Mini S w/ Sport Package (or whatever they call it) is much too harsh. I also highly recommend finding a car with the "M" package, sportier wheel/tire, shadowline trim, steering wheel & shift know, tuned suspension, sport seats, maybe something else.

Good luck. I think the E39 with & without the Sport Pkg are 2 totally different cars.

Scott Graham
    Mpls, MN

stuts

Its a lot of money to convert over. You will also need to re-calibrate the headlight leveling sensor if you have one. A downside- if you let your wife or other non-automotive type drive it, be prepared to replace the lower air dam and/ or the wheel well skirts. Those damn parking bumpers are an inch too high. Good luck.

Love my handling...

...I'm just worried I'm missing out, not getting the sports suspension with the sports package. My 2003 530i handles like Beethoven on a piano right now, but if I upgrade the suspension, will I have my own Mozart? *sigh* I would really hate to spend the money and not like the ride.

kkratoch

Can you find one at a dealer and "test drive" it? They won;t know you aren't looking to buy.

Hahahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Of course my New Country BMW dealership only has 2005s and up. So it won't be fair to compare those with my 2003 530i.

Autohaus guest

This is why I always back in ;).

stuts

Sports suspension

Questions to ask yourself; How long will I keep this car? How much will it cost to do it RIGHT the first time? How hard do I REALLY drive it? Will I add/ subtract to the resale value (if I sell it within __ years)?
    And, more importantly, is the "cool" factor worth it?
    ..... Just some thoughts.

Damn good thoughts...so far it seems like only the springs are really worth it. For the more aggressive look and the lower center of gravity for tighter turns, which I must admit...I love taking those turns like a racer.

patlabor44 guest

Dont just add new springs to it without replacing the shocks/struts. If you put springs that lower the car it will blow out the stock shock/struts within no time because they are being further compressed by the lowered ride height and cant travel as they shoudl since the springs are control them.

I thought the same thing, but some people are telling me that dropping it an inch isn't a big deal, and that I should ride it out until I need new struts. The price difference would be about $700 if I just do springs now. But I hear what you're saying. Thanks for the advice.

patlabor44 guest

Well I am a certified Technician and have gone to school for it. Also I have worked at a dealership and a European car restoration shop for four years. Currently i go to JimRussell racing. So if that means anything to you I do not suggest messing around with just springs. All it means is that eventually you will have to remove your shock/strut assemblies again and either pay for it twice or do it yourself which means its probably taking space in your garage on jack stands.
    I would save the extra cash and do it right the first time. Do it once and have one alignment and you will be very satisfied. Otherwise its not going to ride very well cause the shock/struts wont be able to travel there entire length.

Would you recommend me lowering the car an inch and getting new struts if I'm not racing? I don't take my car to the track at all.