Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

az3579

Well it's the cheapest one you can get, and honestly, the 135i costs way too much for my tastes.

Hell, so does the 128i, but the CPO cars out now are the early E90's and I really don't like the styling of them. They're way too basic. Maybe when the refresh models come out as CPO I'll buy one. They look so much better in my eyes.

Unfortunately, the only E46's as CPO's at my local dealership are cabrios, and I am in no way interested in buying one of those. That's usually the case; it's rare to get a regular E46 that isn't a bone stock basic 325i around here. The 330i is what I'm going for if I buy an E46, or, if the price is right, an M3 from a private owner.

BTW, 300th post. :)

Autohaus guest

I don't like the styling of the E90 sedans. Gotta get the coupe. OP, don't get the E90 sedan!

Arash2002tii guest

I'm really dying to know what the OP actually got, maybe we can call the BMWCCA office and ask for his address and phone number and give him a call. And then we can congratulate him if he got something good (2002, E30, etc.) or go to his house and destroy his car if he got something bad (i.e. convertible, non-BMW) :D

az3579

Uh, that's harrassment/stalking. Isn't it bad enough that we ruined his thread? lol

Autohaus guest

I'll go with you, however, you'll go first :)

CRKrieger

You guys stun me with the depth of your BMW-centric ignorance. There is nothing in common with the Taurus in the X-Type. It was based on the second generation Ford Mondeo, which was never sold in the US, as a Taurus or otherwise. The first generation was sold here as the FWD Contour and the basic platform was shared by the Mazda 626. The Mondeo was quite successfully raced in several touring car series in its FWD form. As you also should know, the X-Type sold in the US is AWD. The red 5-speed 3.0 Sport I have is a remarkably capable car. On snowy days, it's lots of fun sucking the headlights out of unsuspecting RWD BMWs - like yours. :D

You may now resume your hating as usual.

Autohaus guest

You seem to forget that I do have an xi in my stable :D

granthr

Okay, but at the end of the day it is still a ford. :( Although now I guess it is a Tata!

Hey this is a BMW Club site! What do you expect! :D

I think the ultimate 4x4 is the E30 325ix or a CJ5. :cool:

GR

granthr

For those who don't know, Tata is the Indian car company that bought Jaguar and Land Rover. They are also the company planning to make the worlds cheapest car.

GR

Autohaus guest

I think I read an article on this fine example of an automobile ;). 10 inch wheels, no A/C, no power anything, a -1 cylinder engine :eek: all for the price of a used E30 @ $2500! $50 option for carpet, $25 option for floor mats and a whopping $200 for paint. Primer comes standard :)

granthr

Not a lot of frills, that is for sure! It is an interesting concept. When spending less than 20-30K on a car, it always comes back to the same question. New or Used, in this price bracket you just get so much more car for your money if you buy used.

I would rather have a 25 year old BMW than a new Tata, oh wait I already have a 25 year old BMW! :D I guess I already voted then. ;)

GR

Autohaus guest

I'll take a Isetta over the Tata.

granthr

I would too, but an Isetta's about worth about five times what a Tata is!

GR

Autohaus guest

I see them on Ebay for $17K and bids are still coming in. Isetta or E39 M5? OP, get the Isetta :D

az3579

The Mondeo is an absolutely fantastic car, but my God what have they done with the X-Type's styling? Dare I say I think the E65 7 series is better looking (which is one fugly car, mind you)? :eek:

But that's a personal opinion on the styling. The Mondeo just looks sooooo much better though; why can't we have it as a Ford Mondeo here, which looks better and costs a lot less? Why the heck do the Europeans get all the good models? :(

The Tata Nano will be looked upon as a joke in this country, but in other countries it will be a viable mode of transportation. Gas is a lot more expensive in other parts of the world and most people aren't as fortunate to make as much money as the average American does in certain economies, so the Tata Nano (that cheapo $2500 car) will be quite popular in some parts, or at least I think so.

MGarrison

I'll take the Mega TaTa's. Oh! wait, sorry, nevermind, that must have been a reference to another forum! :p

ummm... how much is the engine-included option? :D

Well now.. wait... isn't that what everyone's always clamoring for? A stripped down version of this or that? Seems like every new BMW is greeted with universal lamentation of increased size, weight, complexity, electronics, etc., and if only it was the same motor stuck in the prior chassis, or prior, prior chassis, or prior, prior, prior chassis, or prior, prior, prior, prior chassis, then it would be the ideal perfect car guaranteed to sell billions of models!

So, gosh... the TaTa isn't the next 2002??? :D

So... you think they'll offer a bra for the TaTa as an accessory? We wouldn't them all running around umm, un.....supported, would we?

az3579

$2500 without engine... $2700 with engine. It's only a 1-liter. :D
    My air compressor has more horsepower, quite frankly, which is why this car wouldn't last at all in America.

Eh, a stripped down BMW still has two mirrors, seats, and all that "basic" good stuff. Besides, do you really think the Tata would be better to drive than a heavy BMW? I think not. I think it would be better off being fed by Flintstone's foot because quite frankly, a 1-liter engine from who-knows-where is not a promising thought. 0-60 in half an hour, anyone? (assuming it can reach 60)

granthr

Yea the Tata Nano is really just a luxury rickshaw, you know the three wheel "motorcycles" with the back seat like a couch that is used as taxis in many developing Asian countries. Many have a canvas roof. So if that is the vehicle you are coming from, then man the Nano is high living! You don't even get wet when it rains! :D

Tatas also come in big and extra large sizes! :D They make trucks and buses too.

GR

Autohaus guest

Should the OP get a Tata or an Isetta?

granthr

Definitely an Isetta!, or how about an Isetta 600, then he could at least take three of his friends when he goes to parties! :D

GR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.