Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Arash2002tii guest

Obviously its not a factory car, lol. Except the difference with this compared to how people make normal ones into M's is that you have 200 hp in a 2002. He also made the M3 suspension to fit in the car. And had a rear disc brake conversion, using the master cylinder from the M3 as well. Pretty bad ass car. On my computer it read your post as #100, weird..

az3579

Maybe your computer's slower than mine. :p

Speaking of custom brewed cars... E30 335i anyone? :D

Arash2002tii guest

Wouldn't that actually make yours slower since mine was 1 ahead of you. A 335i motor in an E30 is called instant death, unless you have the skills of a race car driver.;)

granthr

I have seen a number of "M2"s. Some are done better than others. That is pretty cool that he swapped the M3 suspension in as well. In my mind, brakes would be an important part of this creation. Yes 200 hp in a car that weighs just over a ton will be quick! So you will want to be able to stop too! :D

Alpina and Hartge made E30 335s back in the 80s, but of course that was with the M30 motor. Still I think they had around 265 hp! BMW of South Africa also made a 333i again with the M30 motor, this car had some Alpina parts on it. I can't remember the hp on that one.

I think a really cool factory E30 is the South Africa 325i Sport. It had aluminum doors and I think hood and front fenders. It had the E30 M3 suspension, brakes, and 5 lug wheels. It also had the M-Tech II body work. I think this was built for a racing series in South Africa.

GR

az3579

About the E30 335i - this is actually what I might do. M30's are easy to find and not as expensive as the S50 I wanted to drop in there. Besides, it'd make a perfect sleeper. :D

Or put a 335i badge on the boot and have people think I'm off my rocker. Hey, some people put M badges on their cars even if it's a 528e (*cough*Chris*cough* ;)) but at least this'll have some truth to it...

Now finding a low mileage M30 is the next task... :confused:

granthr

If you are serious about this, get one from an E34 535i or E32 735i, they are motronic and have a little more power. There are some other advantages but I am not sure what they all are.

GR
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Bigger intake, bigger valves, higher lift cam (equal to the earlier "euro" cam.) Higher compression as well. BUT make sure you get an early block (88-89) or else the plans-built or Alpina motor mounts will not bolt up and you will have to make a very long and oddly shaped passenger side mount or weld something to your subframe. E30.de has all the details. Find a wrecked 535 or 735 manual, because you need the wiring harness and the computer. The amount of engineering is much less on an M/S50 swap, though, and the weight can also be an issue. Any other questions?

az3579

Did you mean that in a good way or a bad way?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Any way you want, actually. It takes less engineering to complete an M/S50 swap because the mounts bolt up, the pan from an E34 525i bolts up, the trans bolts up, etc. If you need cheap power, it is the way to go. However, if you like being unique and doing some engineering, the M30 is the way to go, but it will not be quick to do, and if you need to farm out anything other than from-plans fabrication work, it will eat you up in cost. You can buy a wrecked E36 woth nearly everything you need for about $500-1000. Hell, you can buy one in driveable condition for about $1500 and drive it while you prep your E30 for the transplant.

Arash2002tii guest

I don't know if any of your guys have ever been on Ultimate Car Page.com, but they have weekly Automotive and General Photography competitions ther. I think it's a pretty cool idea and if we have any picture loving people on here maybe we can start our own? If you want to see what it's like here the links, my name on there is TehRacer, just in case you want to see my crappy photos :D

Automotive Competition

General Photo Comp Part 1

General Photo Comp Part 2

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Autohaus guest

I have no idea what your talking about :D. I was 18 and stupid :eek:

Arash2002tii guest

You know you like them, why else haven't you taken them off by now? :p

Autohaus guest

If I take off the rear emblem, won't paint come off and/or leave a blemish on the paint :eek:

granthr

When I bought my 318i it had an ///M emblem on the trunk. I was also scared to take it off for the same reason. One hot summer day, I left the car in the sun and let it get pretty hot. I then carefully and slowly started to pry it off. It came off completely clean and was still sticky enough for me to put it on my tool box! :D Where it is still today! The paint was fine.

So I would suggest since you are in NY and it is now a week away from November to get a hairdryer and heat it up, but don't burn it! Then use some fishing line (I didn't know/think about this when I took mine off) to get behind the emblem and slowly and carefully work the line along the metal panel of the car. Try not to pull the emblem vertically away from the panel in you can help it. Use a couple wood sticks/ pins etc to wrap the line around on each end for handles so the line doesn't dig into your hands and fingers.

Good Luck!

GR

Autohaus guest

What you just said to me is like the equivalent of changing out an engine :eek:. I am lazy on the weekends. I will have AZ help me out with this soon..lol

Autohaus guest

BTW, all this other talk is not helping out the OP with what he should be driving..

LMAO!!!

granthr

Sounds like you would be in trouble without AZ! :D Do the both of you live right on the CT/NY border?

GR

az3579

Eh....

Try some Goo-Gone. It has worked with everything for me so far, including taking out some stupid stickers the PO left around the license plate area. It doesn't hurt your paint. Just squirt some over the top of the badge, let it soak for a minute or two and then peel away!

granthr

Yes there is nothing worse than having to undo what the PO has done! It is amazing what people will do to "fix" their cars and on a BMW no less! :eek:

GR

Autohaus guest

He lives about an hour and change from me. I am trying to figure out on how to save up to maybe lease a 135i summer 2010 and do euro-delivery :D. However, BMW does not offer the 1 series for lease as of now. So hopefully I can save up a bunch of money and pay down bills AND hope they will offer a lease for the 135i in about 19-20 months :cool:. Maybe better if I can afford it and buy it instead! This is off topic, I know but isn't talking about anything other what the OP should be driving off topic anyway?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.