Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best BMW for an 18 year old?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Arash2002tii guest

Definitely, it seems like they need the reminder especially with the abominations (in my opinion) called the X series and also how fat and techno-packed all of their cars are becoming. I kind of stopped liking BMW's as much after E30. Good idea just came to me. Post your all-time favorite BMW: for me its a 3.0 CSL Batmobile.

granthr

Agreed!

All time favorite! :eek: Boy that is really tough, I don't know if I can do that. How about top three or ten!:D

E30 M3
    E26 M1
    3.0 CSL
    2002tii or Turbo
    E28 M5
    E24 M6
    E12 M535is
    1930s 328
    1960s 700 (just put a newer boxer BMW motorcycle engine in one of these!)
    E36 M3 Lightweight
    E36 M3 Euro Evo
    Any Alpine/Hartge/AC Schnitzer BMW

I guess this is more than ten, but there are just too many to list! :eek: What can I say, BMW makes some great cars!

GR

Autohaus guest

518i :D
    I would say my favorite BMW would have to be the 507

Autohaus guest

Question for Moosehead:

I saw an ad for a 95 M tree for sale for $2500. Has around 200K miles. Some rust, needs body work, etc... I was thinking, would it be possible to shove that drivetrain in my E28? The M3 has all the computers, harnesses, etc... to make the conversion. Everyone talks about "Got E30? Get M/S 50"! How about "Got E28? Get S50"! I am in no position to do this now. Maybe down the line time. Your thoughts..........
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Drivetrain should be easy to bolt in to the E28. Need a different driveshaft. Unsure about the oil pan. may need custom motor mounts. Other than that, pretty easy.

Arash2002tii guest

@ granthr, what repair manual do you use to work on the M3? I couldn't seem to find a Bently that said it covered the M3's, or can I just use the one for other E30's??
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Arash2002tii guest

granthr

+1 for the Koalamotorsport manual. It is a CD, but very useful! I have that and the Bentley. The Bentley is useful for the general E30 stuff, which is a good part of the M3. So really you should have both. At some point I would like to buy the factory manual, but they are pricey and hard to find.

GR

Arash2002tii guest

Thanks, I guess I'll get both then. :)

granthr

For general stuff you will probably use the bentley more. I like that it is a paper book you can take into the "Shop" (driveway, garage, curb, etc where ever you work on your car). The Koalamotorsport is great, but you either have to take a laptop out with you or print off the pages you want. Not a big hassle, but still an extra step.

I know I say this all the time in here, but they do pay for themselves the first time you use them if it enables you to do a job yourself as opposed to hiring someone else to do it.

Does your M3 have an E36 M3 timing chain tensionor? If not I would recommend it. Does your chain rattle on start up or shut down? The S14 tensionor is dependent on oil pressure, so it is not full strength on start up etc. The S50/S52 tensionor is just a big spring and always applies pressure. It is a direct replacement and I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you have the correct size wrenches or sockets before doing it. Unfortunately I cannot remember the two sizes off the top of my head. I will have to look at home. You need two to get the old one out and one to get the new one in.

GR

Arash2002tii guest

Thanks some more! Too busy to think about working on the car though. I'm really pumped for the ALMS race at Laguna Seca tomorrow, especially since I got the tickets buy one get one free and at the discount price :cool:.

granthr

Arash, enjoy the race! That should be great! I would be too pumped up to think about working on the car too.

Do you think we can get this thread over a 100 posts?

GR

az3579

Dunno, let's shoot for it. :D

Autohaus guest

I really wonder what the OP is driving now. Its killing me. I can't sleep at night. I can't concentrate at work, etc...

granthr

If I had to put money on it, I bet he kept the X5.

GR

az3579

If I had to put money on it, he didn't.

He better not have, at least. The last thing we need is another SUV on the road. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

Gun to my head, he probably got a E46 M3. Oh OP, where are you?!

Arash2002tii guest

It was an amazing race today. Tons of fun and I met a guy who has 2 2002's. Can't wait for next year when they start racing the e92 M3's. Also saw an M2 which is a 2002 with an e30 M3 motor in it. Speaking of e92's though; we saw the same one 3 times: Once on the way to the track, once leaving the track, and jsut now about 10 feet from my house on the way home. If you're wondering how I know its the same one, it's because he has a Laguna Seca and a Sears Point decal on his trunk. I have pictures from the race available upon request, or jsut check them out at www.americanlemans.com. Whoever replies to this will be the 100th post :cool:!!!

P.S. I think I'm on t.v. The NBC guys were interviewing someone and I was standing right behind the guy smiling and waving and making faces. :D

az3579

No, the post after mine will be the 100th.

Glad you had a great time. Boy, an M2? Must be a customer brewed car, kind of like how some people make M cars out of standard ones. :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.