Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1 Series purchases = no rebate from BMW NA

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by 330indy1, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Dr Obnxs guest

I think it's more an attitude than anything else...

and the math analysis is wrong. What you're looking at is marginal sales for marginal costs. There will ALWAYS be people who will or won't make a purchase over a bit of money, just like there will ALWAYS be sellers who do the same math. The idea of a buyer loyalty program is a bit of a reward for keeping with a brand. And while these aren't univeral, there are "Brand loyalty bonuses" that other marques use to get a lower price to loyal customers.

Yes it's true that it's a perq for those CCA memebers who buy from BMW. As a Mini owner I'm not thrilled that BMWNA (or is it MINIUSA) is choosing to not have brand loyalty rewards or support the Mini/BMW link (maybe it's one they'd rather not remember?) I have no clue. But it does have a marginal impact on my buying preferences and the like. Just like including the 1 series or not will have marginal impacts on others who are considering a car purchase.

You can call the program what you want, but from what I gather, the expectation is there that there would be brand loyalty rewards for CCA members. The fact that it's not there on the one series is something that creates a miss-aligment between expectation and reality. This is where dissatisfaction, dissapointment and frustration creep in. And it doesn't take a PhD to figure that when one reads about the cost spent to lure/convince new buyers to come to the brand as opposed to keeping current customers happy would lead to some feelings of being taken for granted. The exact same feeling I get when my cable company and cell phone companies offer new customers sweetheart deals while I get screwed for higher cost for service. In the past I've switched phone companies over this. If we didn't grant local monopolies to cable companies I sure would switch over this for cable. But for both of those services, the percentage that newbies are rewarded are closer to 50%, whereas here it's just a couple %.

Matt

griptruk guest

I am personally quite disappointed in this policy, especially as a purchaser of a new 1 series. But also as someone who has enjoyed this discount on 2 previous e46 3 series, both of which were less expensive than this car. I think it is an error of judgment for BMWNA to single out this car, which is probably one of the most appealing of the new car lineup to the Core of the BMWCCA members, yes, the M3 may be MORE appealing, but certainly beyond the budget of the vast majority. It seems to be a widely held belief that this car is overpriced, and while I still ponied up for one, I think I agree. So I'm sure the profit is there in this car, just like it is in the 3 series, Z series, etc. to be able to afford the rebate and reward the fierce loyalty that most of us members exhibit.

Like the previous poster said, singling out the 1 series is like saying "You're only buying the 'cheap' model, we don't value you as much as people who buy the REAL cars"

-Jeremy

126046 guest

Euro delivery?

Why no Euro delivery for you? I just got back from collecting my 135 and driving it nearly 3000 miles in Germany, France, Belgium and England and it was great. While I'm certainly waiting impatiently for it to get here, it's going to take enormous self-discipline and several more radar detectors to stay out of the slammer. You are up to illegal speeds so deceivingly quickly it continues to be a surprise.

While I agree that the decision not to include the 1 series in the rebate is a disappointment, and frankly I think probably a mistake because a lot of people will be upset, it's not going to stop first-time BMW buyers because you have to have been a member for at least a year. I doubt that it's going to be a deal breaker for anyone, either..... after all, $500 on a $35,000 to $40,000 car isn't even 1.5%.

I didn't see a single coupe while I was in Europe, but plenty of hatch-backs, both two-door and four-door. All the 1s I heard running were diesels and they were all pretty smooth and quiet, though you could just about tell tey were diesels. I wish they were brining in the twin-turbo 6 diesel....... I'd have waited till fall and got that one instead, though the gas one is still wonderful.

bimmernet guest

Thanks for your support!

You are right, $500 is chump change and you can send it to the address I'll PM you, thanks awfully. And as far as not being a deal breaker, it broke mine. It was just one more disappointment about the car and the whole ordeal to move me to cancel my order, so at least someone ended up with the windfall of an "instant" 135i being perfectly specified IMHO.

I'm now considering other possibilities like the G37S, the EVO X and others that are rated close to (and even above) their respective BMW competitors. No doubt, I like the E92 and the upcoming TIi version sounds interesting but it's time to look around and this experience is just the nudge I needed to expand my vistas.

Well done BMWNA, you saved $500 times all those buying and not buying the 1 (and X6), reminding me that loyalty and patronage really don't mean much and that there are other excellent automobiles available that don't require nearly as much blind faith, BS and dollars.

For those loyal car buying members that feel their 1er, X6 and Mini transactions should be appreciated by BMWNA the same as other members, Cheers mates. And to my fellow "club" members that have observed my rantings to be unreasonable and poorly expressed; well I'm sure you can imagine my feelings about your fellowship.

BMWCCA1

Gee, I wasn't aware Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Mercedes wanted your business badly enough to try and buy it with loyalty payments. Or is it only your requirement that BMW do it to earn your business? Some of you are just too smug to understand the difference between a privilege and a right. And I feel sorry for your pain.

bimmernet guest

Gee, that’s weird, I feel sorry for you...

After working as an Internet Sales Manager for one of the larger BMW dealers in the country I can inequitably state that I may be smug but at least I'm not so naive as to believe the BMWCCA Reward is a "gift", "privilege" or any other altruistic act. It's a sales promotion plain and simple and if as an adult consumer you can't separate business from acts of charity or generosity then I really do feel sorry for you.

What label would you give me since I purchased eight BMW's and never received any Reward or "Gift" for any of them other than driving them? I hoped I'd be "privileged" this one time and your consistent criticism, sarcasm and superior attitude has done very little to convince me of much beyond the fact that you enjoy dissing people publicly. Mock me Mr. BMWCCA1 but I'd take a look in the mirror and at your writings before I'd label others as smug or take a more moral than thou position over others when they express their feelings.

BMWCCA1

I suppose you were the sales manager because your people-skills weren't up to snuff to be actually in contact with prospects? Having been in sales for however long, you must understand the term "hot button", and I must have hit yours. So when did anyone ever get the idea that the 1 Series was included in the program? It was never listed, never showed a dollar amount for any rebate, and wasn't on the BMW NA rebate form. If it's such a good promotion, why not just offer it to anyone? It is, in fact, a gift from BMW rewarding loyal BMW CCA members, and a gift to the Club in helping to retain those members to whom the rebate is an important aspect of BMW CCA membership. Personally I don't buy new BMWs, though I've probably owned more than forty BMWs over the past 37 years. The constant complaining about not getting a gift is just too indicative of the entitlement too many in the BMW-owner demographic exhibit in their daily lives. Since the money seems such a paltry fraction of the price of a new car, would as many of you be so concerned if the rebate went to charity instead of you and you weren't getting it on the One? Or is it really all about you? Trust me, there are larger issues in the world today at which you could be directing your enthusiasm and outrage. You can spout vitriol at me all day long, but you're only ruining your own rep, not mine.

carmanhank guest

You one owners of which I am one need to grow up, stop complaining and enjoy your car. With the sliding scale of rebates being 5 series $1000 3 series $500, what did you expect on the one series $100? You folks have too much time on your hands to complain over a phantom $100!!

Mike128i guest

I don't understand. I purchased a 128i about two weeks ago. Great car!!! Filled out my BMW CCA Membership Reward Check Request and sent it in. I quickly received an e-mail acknowledging the check request and was advised that I should be getting my check in about 8 weeks.

Mike128i guest

Just noticed the post previous to mine was dated 2008. Why don't you clean up old threads that just create confusion to those of us who don't read the fine print.

Louis guest

All but the last posting about the 1 Series not being eligible for a Member Rewards rebate from BMW have been superceded by BMW adding the 1 Series, all models, to the Membership Rewards Program ($500). It's listed on the application form with all the other covered BMWs. All BMW passenger cars including the 7 Series Alpina, SAVs and CPO cars, including M versions, are included in the BMW CCA Member Rewards Program.

bcweir

Louis, I concur. I checked myself and sure enough: 1 series: $500.

All this horrendous hyperventilating over $500. Good grief. This looks as silly as watching millionaires risk their lives trying to dig a quarter out of the freeway asphalt during rush hour.

If you're going to pop a blood vessel over a $500 "thank you" from BMW on a $40,000 to $50,000 car, then maybe a Lexus, Mercedes, or Infiniti really is the better car for you. Heaven knows, making the switch would do wonders to lower the air temperature in here.

I paid $2,600 for my 23 year old 750iL, got NO reward rebate (which is fine because not only did my car not qualify, but I wasn't a BMWCCA member at the time), but I absolutely ADORE this old car and the marque.

Perhaps some of you with the five and six-figure disposable income could learn a thing or two about Joy, Rewards, and the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Lower your blood pressure and enjoy the beautiful machine parked in your garage. That $500 will be spent before you know it, but what that car can do for you will stay with you for a WHOLE lot longer.
    • Staff

steven s

After 17 months, closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.