Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Break in period / service 1200mls

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bimini, Jul 21, 2008.

bimini

New 08 M3 coupe.
    I had the 1200 mile service (break-in completed). During the 24 hours in the the shop, the service dept. put 30 Miles on the car. And no explanation. I had to call the service dept to ask why. Does anybody think this is "OK".

. The dealership SA said that they had to drive the car to "check the oil sensor becaue there is no dipstick and the cars indicator wasn't picking up an oil reading" I would venture to say 10-20 minutes at idle sounds like a better approach to me. Or maybe a friendly heads-up to the customer like: 'just so you know, the oil sensor may take up to 30 miles to get a reading---if it doesn't read correctly as full let us know"

I'm sure I'll be speaking to the service manager as soon as he gets my letter. I sure hope that he can produce a written BMW service bulletin on this issue.

Anybody have any info/advice on how to handle this issue?

az3579

You took the car in at precisely 1200 miles? Was there any damage to the car like scratches and the like?

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal if there's no damage to the car. 30 miles is like a walk to the bathroom; it's no distance at all.

But, if you're still concerned, I think it would be much more effective to not bother with the letter and just go in there in person. It adds drama and doesn't give the service advisor a chance to think about how to "not" handle your situation. If they put 30 miles on it, then chances are they're not going to want to deal with this in a way that'll make you happy, but instead cover their own arses.

bimini

Well maybe you have a point--it is a walk to the bathroom but you discover, in the dark, that there is no toilet paper. Guess you better call up your BMW rep to see if he can help you find some. Oh wait, he is out in your car on a test drive.

And your other point about "no distance at all". Maybe that is true....at red line of 8500rpm and top speed of 155-160mph that only takes about 11 minutes. That is "no time at all". That's about the same amount of time it would take me to totally melt the clutch plates, take-off nearly all the rubber on the rear tires and maybe if I'm really not paying attention, and there really wasn't any oil in the engine for the "first" test drive, possibly even score the main crank and the connecting rod bearings. Yeah, no time at all.

I am not trying to be a butt and I appreciate your advice but my point is that this is poor treatment of a brand new car / cash paying customer. I think this is at best, excessive and inconsiderate and at worst, abusive and possibly even a criminal offense.

How 'bout you loan me your wife's brand new car for just 30 miles and I will demonstrate my concerns? She will never know, right? PS- bring your fire suit and helmet.

VA_John

Well, if I were you, I would be more concerned about "there is no dipstick and the cars indicator wasn't picking up an oil reading". First, I wouldn't buy a car that was made like that. That truly is the case with new BWW's. And since yours is dealer serviced, they really don't need to joyride in random little coupe's. They are the dealer- taadaaa... They've already got the cow and the milk. They don't need you to get their jolly's off.

I don't know what driving it for 30 miles accomplishes besides kicking in the radiator, but honestly, I think you have bigger problems. And yes, you are being a butt because you are not seeing the forest from the trees. A typical new BMW driver. Mileage huh, is that what you're worried about? They can't even read your damn oil level! Do you know how absolutely screwed up that is?

M3Driver guest

I do know that in our new X3 the car has to be driven for about 6 miles, if memory serves, until the oil sensor picks up the reading.

30 miles? I dunno......the "dipstickless world" in which we are now living is still new to me....:confused:

Anyway I agree that a "heads-up" from the SA about this would have been nice. With my M3, I have gotten to know my favorite tech very well and he knows how particular I am about our cars and I always request him to work on our vehicles. This has paid off in dividends over the last 8 years and little extras seem to show up as "no charge" (like air filters, brake flushes, etc...). You might try that approach in the future and see how it works for you. I'll bet it will......:)

Cheers....

az3579

Which is precisely why I don't think you should worry about it. Besides, why on earth would they completely destroy your car? What are the people that actually do it getting out of it? It's not as though they don't have any cars to work on and they're making you come back so they have something to do...

His being an M3, perhaps he's got more sensors or some other technology and needs to be driven for a longer period to get a correct reading?

bimini

Yes, sorry about being a butt. Guess I'm just a little sensitive. I babied the car (BTW my third M ), Did everything the little break-in sticker said to do: No over 104mph, no over 5500rpm, no sustained constant engine speed such as cruise control., and easy on the accelerator. Planned to keep the car forever. I didn't even let anyone else in my family ( full of car guys) drive the car until after break-in. Then someone I don't even know popped my cherry and ruptured my hymen (quote from another forum). I'm just plain angry, and maybe a bit worried that they drained the oil, forgot to refill, then caught their mistake after the first test drive. Had a friend who lost an engine this way.

And you do make an excellent point---never thought about it but NO DIPSTICK!!. I'm fine with the high tech electronic sensor. That is a little piece of mind without getting your hands dirty. But at least let me cross-reference or check it on occasion with the real dip stick. To all you Mod developers--there's a great idea. A freakin' after market dipstick. Sad, Preposterous, True

And No, not worried about the mileage. Having rebuilt a few motorcycle engines in my younger days and seeing the internal scars that develop with no immediately notable symptoms, I can only imagine what some bozo might do to the delicate internal metal surfaces with or without oil, that will fail a few days after the warranty expires.

Guess I'll just have to get over it, and start topping the oil off with K-mart Multilube and running 87 octane. It is afterall just a machine and should be treated as such. It just needs to run while under warranty and and a hard run it will be. Hope those exalted BMW engineers are worth their weight in BMW Assist buttons. FI !

az3579

Well... try not to think everyone is out to get ya! Maybe they took it easy like they were supposed to during their drive...

Think positive. :cool:

330indy1

four words

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

bimini

Let me guess, you have a "thing" for rubbing cars with a diaper.

330indy1

huh?
    I was referring to those 30 mysterious miles the shop guys put on.

Bimmerdan

You can think what you want but if a dealer put 30 miles on my brand new car and couldn't explain exactly why they did it...I would be livid!! Most dealerships and technicians out there are great and would never horse around with a customer's car but I've talked to so many service guys that have horror stories about some of the stupid things their co-workers have done with somebody elses car...I wouldn't let this one go without an extremely good reason.

bimini

My point exactly ! Working on it. Currently Iv'e sent one letter, and one phone call both are to date unreturned.

bimini

I was making a joke. In the movie Ferris makes some comment about his dad never driving his sports car--he just rubs it with a diaper (ie waxes it).

chasek72

Good post, I am definitely in agreement with your statements. Someone from the aftermarket/mod community should develop an "oil dipstick retrofit kit". I think it would be a hot among many BMW enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Chuck

330indy1

all you need is the right drill bit :eek:

bimini

Now you have me perplexed--what is this supposed to mean? ( I personally own 8 drills and an extensive bit collection)

330indy1

Is my humor a total loss here?
    :(

correct drill bit = new dipstick feature (!) :D