Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OEM vs AfterMarket parts for BMW

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by kearnsclan, Apr 1, 2010.

kearnsclan guest

Just wondering about all the different options for replacement parts for my BMW.

Understand that OEM brand parts are often the 'pick of the litter' and has great 'emotional satisfaction' for some personalities with BMW's

But are Meyle and URO brands (as well as comparable others) competative in their service life and dependability?

Any info, recommendations, warning, personal experiences or comments are welcome with regard to this topic.

thanks....

bcweir

If you're looking to maintain the same level of reliability...

...buy OEM brands whenever possible. Keep in mind, this doesn't mean you have to pay the OEM price! BMW doesn't manufacture ALL of the parts on the car themselves. They typically buy off the shelf from suppliers such as Siemens, Bosch, and Meyle. You can go to a lot of independent dealers and buy the exact same part BMW did, without the high priced dealer markup.

Especially when it comes to rubber parts, some vendors use a cheap, poor quality rubber for such things as ball-joints and carrier bushings, and invariably, these likely are made and exported from China. So what you get for your "bargain" price is a part that's going to send you crawling under your car to replace in another six months. That doesn't sound like a bargain to me!

Meyle, Behr, Siemens, etc. are all OEM brands on BMW. However, I have, in the past, heard some pretty spotty stories about quality from companies like FCP Groton. Someone else's mileage may vary.

Good luck!

John in VA

Meyle can provide a decent alternative, depending on the part. I would stay away from Uro, given the experiences of others.

1996 328ti guest

OEM is not necessarily OE.

A rotor may be made by Balo or Ate. They may be an Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    The difference might be that OE are balanced and OEM may not.

A good read is
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oe_vs_oem_parts.html

Companies that sell parts have a different opinion on the difference.

kearnsclan guest

Thanks for the info. I read the link and was educated.

This hobby of car maintenance and repair has many facets and rewards for a job well done.

appreciate all the help !!!!

1996 328ti guest

Usually I like Genuine BMW parts with the exception to brake pads and suspension.
    You can often find Genuine BMW parts from another model that you might consider an upgrade.

My E30 has a Z8 shift lever to reduce the throw.
    The Z8 lever is actually cheaper than many other levers.
    My ti has 95 M3 control arms and LCABs, among other goodies.