Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E36 Climate Control Fan Motor

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 391075, Jul 4, 2008.

The fan control in position 2 produces the same airflow as position 1. Positions 3 and 4 work just fine. Any diagnoses/repair solutions ??

vertigow guest

I have a 1995 325i with a similar problem with the fan motor. The fan will only function in position 4. The AC indicator will come on when the control is moved from the "0" position. I would be interested in what might solve your problem as it may very well solve mine.

agranner guest

You need a "blower motor resistor pack". I did this about a year ago when my fan would only work in position 4.

It's this little thing like a relay behind the center console. It's an easy fix, just remove the panels in the driver-side foot well, reach in and plug the new one in. Bentley has the procedure, your dealer has the part.

-- Aubrey Granner
    '93 325i

Is a "blower motor resistor pack" the same as a "final stage unit" ??

Jeron guest

Essentially they are. Blower motor resistor pack is the description for the part on a manual climate control system. The final stage unit or final stage resistor is the same part on the electronic climate control.

vertigow guest

The Blower Motor Resistor Pack resolved the issue. The blower now functions at all four settings. The part number at the dealer is 64-11-8-391749 and cost around $75.00.
    Do not make the mistake that I did and purchase the Final Stage Unit deal part number 64-11-6-929540 first. This was a $150.00 mistake and they will not take it back,
    If you need a FSU or know someone ho does please just sent me an email.
    Thank you for the help.