Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tires

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Jul 29, 2012.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

I have a 2002 525i touring. It's getting close to tire replacement. Being an M sport it is shod with 235/45 ZR17's. Any suggestions for replacement? Looking for a good wet tire.

brucembergeron

I've tired a few different tires on my 525 touring, both performance tires and winter tires. Which tires I would recommend depend on whether you are looking for a performance summer tire, winter tire, or all season (which I would only suggest if you live in an area that gets very little snow.

Not knowing where you live or how you use the tires I would suggest Continental Extreme Contact DWS. These are all season tires, but they don't like deep snow. They have plenty of grip for spirited street driving, and wear well. They are also priced low at $126 at Tire Rack.

I have used a few different performance tires for the track and I would suggest any of them depending on your budget: Michelin Pilot Super Sports (expensive, but have great grip, and last longer than most every other performance tire). Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec have been around a few years, but are still great summer track tire. I've also used Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 on the track and they worked well too. I'm still using these on the street and they are wearing very well. They are also very reasonably priced.

ramitchell

Agree on the Continental DWS. I live in NC so I don't usually have to worry about deep snow. I've had them on for a year with no issues.

nd4spdlsc

Car and Driver just published a tire test last month. I am running Hankook Evo V12s. I've been happy with them so far but would also recommend the Continental DW.

Well I have decided on the new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrical all season. After reading the current Roundel thought I would give them a try.

Just bought the new Goodyear Assymetric that were tested in this months Roundel. Having them put on Fri!!
    AJWhite likes this.

AJWhite

Let us know how they are. Good luck.

Well the tires are great so far. They are quiet and smooth riding. They have been great in rain so far. When the weather turns foul will update my assesment of them. They look great on the car too

Tire update... They have been performing great in all conditions!!